I did end up tweaking the pattern a little to get a better fit, and also to add the contrasting color. Here’s what I did…
I used a total of three pattern pieces to make my skirt. I used just the Back Skirt pattern piece for both the front and the back of the skirt, and the coordinating scallop “facing” piece for the contrast. I made my own waistband as the third piece. I noticed the back pattern piece “B” was a tad smaller than the front, so I used that to get a better fit. You can see how baggy my first muslin was here.
I recently started using chalk to trace my patterns instead of pinning, and I like it much better! On the right you can see the pattern pieces I used. I cut two of piece B and F, and one of my waist band (all on the fold).
I serged all my seams, and and still used the 5/8ths seam allowance, so that helped me get a better fit as well. In order to get the red contrasting look, I sewed the front and back facing pieces together at the sides, then pinned the piece to the inside of the skirt and flipped it to the outside.
I used red bias tape to bind the raw edge, and covered the tape seam with a little button. Then I added a button tab waist band and voila! Done!
This sew-along has been SO fun so far! Please check out the flickr group and take a look at all the other talented ladies who participated!
Also, I’ve already noticed my skirt on other blogs and also Pinterest. I think that’s awesome! It blows me away that one can be so inspired by something I made. It truly makes my day! I just ask pretty please only re-post my images with proper credit, and a link back to my original blog post.
Thanks so much