In my spare time…

When I’m not wearing fancy dresses to work, I’m most definitely wearing sweat pants. I don’t really have a grey area of clothing. It’s either dresses or sweat pants. That’s it. But there’s a good reason why…

Hiking! You can’t hike in a dress. Not very practically anyways, and I do a lot of hiking in my spare time. It’s one of my favorite things.

Guess who else loves hiking?!

Yeah. BIG TIME. It’s her second favorite thing next to snuggling. We did a quick two mile hike today and she wasn’t even close to tired. She could hike all day!

Over the winter I read about this cool cabin, and put it on my list of things to find as soon as the weather was nice enough. Today was the day! Mid 40 degrees and cloudy. Which is actually great hiking weather because you won’t get too hot.

Well we did find the cabin, but I couldn’t take many pictures because we caught up to another couple with their dogs, who had the exact same destination in mind. Only they got there first. They pretty much went straight into the cabin and shut the door. It was a little awkward. But whatever. There’s always next time I suppose. I definitely want to see the inside.

So back down the mountain we went!

It’s a little trickier navigating the way down. Especially with the help of gravity and a mighty little dog who could easily sprint back down the mountain and not even lose her breath. Wish I could say the same! I have terrible cardiovascular endurance for someone of my size. Either that, or I’ve developed adult asthma. I should probably look into that…

When we got to the bottom, I insisted that Lucille and I check out the little information booth. Lucille was interested at first, but then wanted nothing to do with my bright idea.

I love the look on her face! Haha!

Lucille: “Mom, I know you’re going to pick me up and put me in there. Please. Don’t make me do it. It’s not that cool of an idea…”

Me: “Nonsense Lucille! It will be so awesome! Just wait and see.”

Me laughing histerically: “Hahaha see isn’t this so awesome Lucille?! I told you it would be awesome!!”

Lucille sarcastically: “Yeah. So awesome.”

Well I had a good time at least ;)

Pssh. No dogs allowed my foot!

Back to the grind tomorrow. Which reminds me, I need to wash some dresses so I don’t end up wearing sweat pants to work.

p.s. we aren’t actually trespassing or breaking any laws despite the signs. No dogs are allowed when the ski resort is still open, which it is not. But I bet some of you thought I was a real “B.A.” for a minute there…

17 Responses to In my spare time…

1. Caitlin A. April 14, 2012 at 10:44 pm #

Hahaha the picture of your beastie reminds me of Cypress, she also LOVES hiking and running and frolicking! SO cute.

• Rochelle New April 14, 2012 at 11:27 pm #

I don’t know many dogs who aren’t a fan of hiking except for my neighbors bulldog. He’s the cutest smooshy thing, and he wants to walk with Lucille and I, but he just physically can’t make it very far! Haha poor guy gets all tuckered out!

2. Suzy Marie April 13, 2012 at 8:17 pm #

Sweatpants are the best thing ever. Well, actually pyjamas are, but I can’t bring myself to wear them in public. Your hike looked fun, although I was pretty annoyed at the couple who just totally claimed the cabin for their own! I’d have knocked on the door and been like “hello, we want to look in here please!” haha. Also, Lucille is a beauty!

• Rochelle New April 13, 2012 at 8:29 pm #

Yeah it was a little annoying I must admit! Who does that? Oh well. I’m claiming it for me next time!

And thank you, Lucille loves compliments ;)

3. Miss Crayola Creepy April 9, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

Frankie and Lucille need to hang out because they are both obsessed with cuddling and hikes! We took her on a hike yesterday and I was worried that it might be too long. Nope, we tired out before she did!

• Rochelle New April 9, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

They can be internet friends like us ;)

That’s a terrier for ya! Go, go, go, all day long until it’s snuggle time! lol

4. Gillian April 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

Hi! I’m totally impressed by your hiking – looks like a pretty serious trail! This post made me laugh though, because I feel exactly the opposite about hiking and skirts! I had a revelation years ago when my friends came back from living in Nepal and talked about hiking the Himalayas every day in a skirt, because pants weren’t culturally appropriate. Since then, I figure that skirts don’t have to be “fancy” and limit  when you do in them, and now I wear a lot more skirts. Not that a Pastille or Truffle would be my top choice for a winter hike, of course! ;) But something denim or khaki in the summer could totally work!
    BTW, love the new blog design!

• Gillian April 9, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

Oh dear – since I posted that 20 minutes ago, I’ve been worrying that it might come off mean – and that is NOT what I meant! (I love the internet, but without a face and tone of voice to match the comment, it’s so easy for things to be taken wrong!) Just wanted to make sure it’s clear that I wasn’t criticising your skirt/hiking comment! :) OK? Ok. Bye!

• Rochelle New April 9, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

Oh Hunny I didn’t think that :) You’re so right! I could totally hike in a skirt! Maybe when it gets a little warmer and dryer. “Mud Season” in Vermont is upon us lol

5. Zara Edwards April 9, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

I love posts such as this one, it literally makes me laugh out loud and I love to laugh!  I’ve said it once and I’ll say it agian, Lucille is so lucky to have such an owner who is so involved in her life.  :)

• Rochelle New April 9, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

Thank you, you’re so sweet :) Lucille makes me laugh everyday! She’s such a ham. And I swear when you really know your dog it’s so easy to have a conversation with them in your head based on their expressions haha! …or maybe I’m just a crazy dog mom ;)

• Zara Edwards April 11, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

No, you’re not crazy I totally know what you mean, I’m the same way with all of my animals too.   :)  They seem to frequently give me the expressions,  ”are you serious?” and “look what I can do!” lol

6. maddie April 9, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

Oh I commend you for being able to go hiking. I’m a girly girly in all sense of the word. If it ain’t got an outlet, I’m not going (sorry for the double negative). It looks like you had a blast though, and I’m glad for that.

P.S. – Love my little ad. Love, love, love

• Rochelle New April 9, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

I grew up a TOTAL Tom Boy!! I still have a lot of that side in me for sure. I don’t mind getting muddy or hanging out in the woods. …I do hate bugs though! lol

7. Rhonda April 9, 2012 at 6:26 am #

what a fantastic place to hike in, and yay for Lucille to have so much fun and freedom. don’t they love their walks … such a cool thing to see them so happy …. she is such a happy, beautiful looking girl. you are a good mum to her :)

• Rochelle New April 9, 2012 at 4:52 pm #

That’s the best compliment anyone could ever give me! My mission in life is to be a good Mum to that dog of mine. She deserves it :)

8. nova April 9, 2012 at 3:00 am #