I survived my first show!

Well. I did it. I survived  my first craft show! The experience alone was worth it, plus I came home with a bit of extra cash too which never hurts ;) I didn’t really give myself any kind of goals or expectations since I had NO idea what it would be like, but all in all I had a lot of fun and I met some awesome people. That’s all that matters!

Here are a few photos from the day…

I was running a little late that morning (which I hate!!) so I was seriously stressing that I wouldn’t have enough time to set up. Luckily I seemed to be on the same time schedule as most of the other vendors so I didn’t end up doing the late walk of shame! I had the perfect amount of time to set up and re-organize things with about 15 mins to spare before doors opened.

I wasn’t sure how much of what items to make. It’s so hard to try and guess what will sell! I made a pattern for those retro style headbands two days before the show and managed to crank out 30 to bring with me. They sold the best by far! I think I only came home with 10.

I have to give my darling the hugest thank you in the world for sitting with me, helping with all the technology/money stuff, and most importantly, keeping me sane! And yes I made him wear a shirt that matched my table. He obliged with no complaints. He loves me that much ;)

I also have to thank my mom for helping me paint my crates and other table items, and iron my headbands as I frantically top stitched them the day before. Thanks mom!

My mom and my brother, as well as my dad and step mom all drove up from New York just to see my show. It really means the world to me that they support my crazy sewing ventures that much. I do have a lot of artists in my family, but I am also currently “wasting” my college degree by being a professional seamstress/crafter. There’s no greater feeling than having parents and family who are proud of you no matter what.

Not to mention my boss left work just to come and see me! It’s really amazing to be so supported :) I’m so lucky.

So yes it was an awesome day and I think the turn out was great too. I feel that Lucky Lucille was well received, even by people who didn’t end up buying from me. I got lots of nice comments and I even shook hands with the mayor of Burlington. …though I think it was obvious I had no clue who he was because he asked me if I was new to the area haha!! Sorry!! I should probably pay attention to things like that. Whoops! Still a good day though.

Buuuuuuuut this was how I felt after getting up at 5:45am and a full day of craft fair craziness…
I was soooooo tired/wired. I hope I didn’t make too much a fool of myself at the end of the day as I tried making friends with other vendors. I had WAY too much coffee and not enough food. I’m sure some people will be remembering me as the crazy girl with huge glasses haha! That’s not too bad right? I could be remembered as way worse.

As much as I enjoyed the fair, I’m pretty relieved to just relax and get back to personal sewing and blogging. I have guest posts to work on and BIG bloggy/sewy plans for June that I can’t wait to share!

I definitely want to apply for the Fall edition of the Queen City Craft Bazaar, and at least now I’ll be way more prepared!

Thanks everyone for your good luck and well wishes! I had a great day :)

31 Responses to I survived my first show!

1. sewinsteady May 16, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

Ahh, how exciting! your table set up looks so cute — I love those headbands! Congrats on surviving your first craft show. :)

2. nova May 15, 2012 at 11:59 pm #

Gorgeous display! Congratulations on surviving it. :)

• Rochelle New May 18, 2012 at 1:00 am #

Thanks :) I’m really pleased with how everything turned out, especially since I didn’t have an opportunity to lay things out until the morning of the show! It could have easily been a disaster lol

3. sallieforrer May 15, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

Congratulations!! I’m so glad to hear it went well!! Your booth looks wonderful!

4. Gillian May 14, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

Yay! Congratulations!!! I’m glad it was fun and success. Do you have another one planned? If you ever get around to it (or if it’s something you are comfortable talking about) I’d love to hear about the nitty gritty details… How much time to you reckon it took to prepare? What sort of profit did you turn? What would you do differently next time? I’m always so overwhelmed by the thought of choosing what stock to make, investing all the time, and having so little understanding or control over the final outcome!  As a newbie, I’d love to hear your own thoughts! :)

• Rochelle New May 18, 2012 at 1:02 am #

Hey Gillian, I would definitely be happy to share some tips with you!! Send me an email with specific questions and I’ll do my best to help you out. This same fair has a fall edition that I plan to apply for as well. It was a great experience and I’m really glad I gave it a try. I think you should too :)

5. Suzy Marie May 14, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

Oh it looks fantastic! Glad you had such a good time and sold so much stuff! I want to think I could pull off a headband but I’m really not sure.

• Rochelle New May 18, 2012 at 1:03 am #

Thanks Suzy! Yeah a lot of people stopped by and were like “OMG those headbands are soooo cute! …but I could never pull that off” lol they’re not for every one. And that’s okay :)

6. Lavender May 14, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

Congrats!!! Your booth looks so lovely :) If we’re in Vermont during your next show, I’ll def stop by :D

• Rochelle New May 18, 2012 at 1:04 am #

Thank you! I hope to do the same fair in the Fall (it’s usually before Thanksgiving) so let me know if you’re around. It would be so awesome to meet you!

7. Miss Crayola Creepy May 14, 2012 at 6:41 pm #

The whole booth looks great! I am glad that you had fun. Do you think that you will be doing more craft fairs in the future. The headbands are super cute!

• Rochelle New May 18, 2012 at 1:05 am #

Thanks, Doll :) Yeah I think I’ll do this same fair in the Fall, but I don’t know if I could keep up with many more than that! It’s soooo much preparing. A lot of fun though.

8. Sarah Rooftops May 14, 2012 at 6:22 pm #

Yay! I’m so glad it went well! Not that I ever had any doubts that it would…!

9. Sarah Gilbert May 14, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

Oh, what a beautiful booth! I love all of your handmade goodies – your sense of style is awesome!  Congratulations of such a successful day!  I’m so delighted that your family came out to support you and your boss sounds just terrific!

• Rochelle New May 18, 2012 at 1:07 am #

Thank you! Yeah I worked pretty hard on everything but am also a master procrastinator so I feel like I got lucky this time! haha! I’m so lucky my family was there to help me out.

10. Lauren May 14, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

You booth looks so cute! Glad you had a successful time of it! :)

11. Ginger May 14, 2012 at 1:54 pm #

Glad you had such a good time!  Your stuff looks so cute!

12. maddie May 14, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

So glad that you had an amazing time and it turned out well. I know you have been preparing for it for awhile. It’s such a great and fulfilling feeling once something is over and accomplished.

• Rochelle New May 18, 2012 at 1:09 am #

It was absolutely a huge accomplishment just to sit there and sort of “face” the people who attended the event. It’s hard! It definitely helped to have friends and family stop by and see me and give me encouragement. Very fulfilling indeed.

13. Sew 2day Wear 2moro May 14, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

Congratulations, looks & sounded like everything went great. Roll on the next show :) x

14. Pontinin Takıları May 14, 2012 at 7:52 am #

sorry for my bad english but, you and your stand looks so cute :)

• Rochelle New May 18, 2012 at 1:11 am #

No need to apologize! Thank you for leaving me such a sweet comment! You made my day :)

15. Caitlin A. May 14, 2012 at 4:45 am #

It looks so great! I’m so glad it went well for you my friend :)

1. A closer look at Licorice | Lucky Lucille Handmade - May 28, 2012

[...] I also made my headband! They sold like hot cakes at the craft fair [...]