Final Hazel – Moodboard

Now that I’ve finished my muslin, I’m starting to plan for my final version of Hazel. I like to make mini mood boards in order gather inspiration and sort of collect my ideas in one place. Colette posted a great tutorial on how you can make your own mood boards, here. Did you see Erin’s? Way cute!

I use Photoshop to make my mood boards. Does anyone have an interest in a step by step Photoshop mood board tutorial? Let me know!

I think Hazel is the prefect dress to try the mixed gingham effect, don’t you think? I bought two different sizes of red gingham and plan to use the two on the bodice. I’m thinking I may do the bigger print in the front and skirt, and the little print on the sides and straps. I’m also tempted to use the facing as a collar like I did on my Pastille dress! I’m also tempted to sneak some embroidery in there somewhere. Hmmm.

Oh, before I forget, I have official word from Sarai that the Hazel bodice IS supposed to fit a tad on the high side. Above the natural waist, but not quite an Empire style is the correct fit. Good news for those of us who thought we’d have to lengthen the bodice!

Be sure to check out Sarah’s blog for some excellent tips on Small/Full Bust Adjustments for the bodice.

Next time I’ll share some ideas for some “Extra Credit” mods to make to your final Hazel’s.

It’s almost Friday!! Yay!

-The Hazel Schedule-
Monday, June 4th: The Muslin
Monday, June 11th: Fit Techniques
Monday, June 18th: Fabulous Fabrics
Monday, June 25th: Sewing Hazel
Monday, July 9th: Hazel Parade

photo sources: apronsleeveless shirtdressshoescollared shirt

, , , ,

20 Responses to Final Hazel – Moodboard

1. SewBusyLizzy June 21, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

I am so jealous that I didn’t think of the gingham idea I’m almost spasming LOL. Maybe we could have a ‘gingham off’!
    Tho I’m feeling like an idiot, my Purple Haze’l was intended to be a test run, however I think it’s good enough (IMHO) to be the final… talking about peaking too early!

• Rochelle New June 21, 2012 at 10:19 pm #

I’m okay with a gingham off! lol Don’t be jealous though, your Hazel is amazing!

2. Kim Knup June 21, 2012 at 7:47 am #

I would love a PS mood board tutorial. I used a lot a few years a go but a refresher would be nice! :) Love the gingham moodboard! will be v cute dress!!!

3. Sassy Tina June 17, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

Ooo i love the Mood board.

4. Stacey Thompson Peterson June 16, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

I just did a quick search to see what other people made with the Hazel pattern and you popped up…I just bought my pattern from YOU today! Now I really will know how to find you if I need help completing it! :)

• Rochelle New June 16, 2012 at 8:41 pm #

Hi!! That’s so funny, because when you were in it TOTALLY slipped my mind that I even had a blog at all. I was a little off my game in the shop today haha! So yes, if you have any questions definitely let me know, and feel free to join up in the sew-along! It’s not too late to start :)

5. SuchaStrangeGirl June 16, 2012 at 11:15 am #

Ohh, what a great idea! My plain seersucker seems so dull in comparison….you always inspire me to turn it up a notch, thanks! ;)
    Good to know the Hazel is supposed to fit a bit high….maybe if I make the waist fit better I’ll be happier with it. So looking forward to your final Hazel!

• Rochelle New June 16, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

Thank you! You know I love plain seersucker ;) Nothing dull about that! Let me know if you have more questions about the fit.

6. Sarah June 15, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

What a glorious moodboard and I LOVE the mixed gingham – *swoon*. I would LOVE a photoshop tutorial! :)

• Rochelle New June 16, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

Thank you! I will certainly put together a tutorial for photoshop mood boards :)

7. Kat Sultanie June 15, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

I would love a photoshop tutorial! I have photoshop elements that my husband bought me but I have no idea how to use it so it gets a bit neglected.

• Rochelle New June 16, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

Oh great! I’d be happy to put a tutorial together for you :)

8. MarrieB June 15, 2012 at 12:50 am #

I love the mixed gingham! Can’t wait to see your final Hazel, I’m sure it’s going to be awesome!

• Rochelle New June 16, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

Thank you! The gingham is super sheer so I’m going to have to line it. So hopefully it will still turn out well :)

9. Ginger June 14, 2012 at 8:50 pm #

Super cute! I love this! And I’m glad to hear that the waist is supposed to be a tad bit high.

• Rochelle New June 14, 2012 at 8:59 pm #

Thanks! And yeah, I’m happy I barely have to make any adjustments to my final Hazel now!

10. Miss Crayola Creepy June 14, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

Love your mood board! Ok, you will love Luke’s shirt today. He’s wearing a black and blue Ben Sherman shirt that is mixed gingham!! Is he following the sew-along and I don’t even know it????? :)

• Rochelle New June 14, 2012 at 8:58 pm #

Haha that would be really funny if he was! His shirt sounds awesome :)

1. Completed: Hazel | Lucky Lucille - July 8, 2012

[...] Hazel dress is done! What’s that you say? You thought I was making a red gingham Hazel?? Yeah, I thought I was too. Turns out the fabric I bought was total crap and not worth using, or [...]