In Sewing

Completed: Hazel

My Hazel dress is done! What’s that you say? You thought I was making a red gingham Hazel?? Yeah, I thought I was too. Turns out the fabric I bought was total crap and not worth using, or taking the time to underline it.

How did I not notice it was this sheer when it was on the bolt?! Curse you Joann Fabrics! Anyways. I went with plan B which was a color block ombre sort of effect in various aqua colors. I got wise and bought some quality Kona solids from my place of employment. Not so sheer anymore!

The bodice detail didn’t turn out well in the photo, but I did some top stitching on the seams to make it look a little more structured.

I left the straps a little longer this time which helped with where the waist line falls. It was much higher on my muslin. I also used pleats instead of gathers to attach the skirt, and turned the facing to the outside of the bodice. Oh, and I used a standard zipper instead of an invisible one.

On a side note, I usually think my boring brown eyes are lame and boring. …but that was before I realized they changed color in bright sun light! I’ll take my brown/sometimes honey colored eyes. Pretty neat-o. I’m also digging long hair over short hair. But I’ll probably change my mind about that next week. …good thing I can do that with zero regret!

Other Outfit Details
shoes: Urban Outfitters
glasses: Vintage Optical Shop
hair: Slique