Completed: Hazel

My Hazel dress is done! What’s that you say? You thought I was making a red gingham Hazel?? Yeah, I thought I was too. Turns out the fabric I bought was total crap and not worth using, or taking the time to underline it.

How did I not notice it was this sheer when it was on the bolt?! Curse you Joann Fabrics! Anyways. I went with plan B which was a color block ombre sort of effect in various aqua colors. I got wise and bought some quality Kona solids from my place of employment. Not so sheer anymore!

The bodice detail didn’t turn out well in the photo, but I did some top stitching on the seams to make it look a little more structured.

I left the straps a little longer this time which helped with where the waist line falls. It was much higher on my muslin. I also used pleats instead of gathers to attach the skirt, and turned the facing to the outside of the bodice. Oh, and I used a standard zipper instead of an invisible one.

On a side note, I usually think my boring brown eyes are lame and boring. …but that was before I realized they changed color in bright sun light! I’ll take my brown/sometimes honey colored eyes. Pretty neat-o. I’m also digging long hair over short hair. But I’ll probably change my mind about that next week. …good thing I can do that with zero regret!

Other Outfit Details
shoes: Urban Outfitters
glasses: Vintage Optical Shop
hair: Slique

, ,

41 Responses to Completed: Hazel

1. Sky Turtle July 24, 2012 at 5:06 am #

I love this dress! I must say hazel is nice but I wasn’t sure if I would ever try making one or not before seeing yours. Super cool.

2. louise tracey July 15, 2012 at 8:35 am #

love your dress, but had to laugh at your eye colour change, i normally feel the same about my eyes (also brown) but one year I went on a snow holiday and I swear they turned green!!! (obviously not permanently ;-))

3. Kari Nodeland July 14, 2012 at 10:47 am #

Beautiful! I love the colorblocking so i think it was a good thing that you needed a solution for the sheerness. It’s a perfect summer dress!

4. Caitlin A. July 12, 2012 at 12:27 am #

Eeee! I love it! Can you come live with me and make me dresses, and I’ll…I don’t know, make you food and gluten-free pancakes?!

5. Amanda Russell July 11, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

I LOOOVE your structured Hazel!!!!! Why didn’t I think of that?? LOL! I love the pleats instead of gathers, and the inside out facing – it’s almost like Lily and Hazel combined now! Love eeet… and you look so great in the greeny colours ^__^

• Rochelle New July 11, 2012 at 10:09 pm #

Thanks! Yeah I kinda thought it looked like a Lily/Hazel too! A Haily? A Lizel? lol

6. Miss Crayola Creepy July 10, 2012 at 7:50 pm #

It turned out so good!!!!

7. Suzy Marie July 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

What amazes me more than all these fantastic dresses is that, despite the colour of your dress, you ALWAYS have shoes that go perfectly. Also, brown eyes are the best! I wish I had them!

• Rochelle New July 10, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

That’s so funny you say that because I feel like I have NO shoes! I live in the woods, so I don’t get to wear cute shoes that often since they’re not practical. I guess I just know how to match the shoes I have ;) I’ve always thought brown eyes were so boring! But, we want what we don’t have I suppose. Your eyes are beautiful!

8. sallieforrer July 10, 2012 at 9:14 am #

I really love the ombre effect – its very pretty. And I like the addition of topstitching in the bodice. It does make it seem more structured.

• Rochelle New July 10, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

Thank you! I was trying to make it look a little more tailored. Quilting cotton isn’t exactly the chic-est fabric there is out there lol

9. Shannon Jordan July 9, 2012 at 10:00 am #

Super cute! Loving the ombre effect.

10. Jessica Cooper July 9, 2012 at 9:40 am #

The ombre colorblocking is beautiful, but honestly, I love every dress you make!

11. anna July 9, 2012 at 6:12 am #

Your Hazel looks amazing! I wasn’t really that excited with the original pattern but now seeing so many people making awesome versions (also Sarai’s embroidered and the blue flower hazel), I’ve gotten excited about this. I try to get my sewing going so, that I could participate the macaron sewalong, but it might be too tight schedule for me (especially since I’m moving to Paris in September, yey!).

• Rochelle New July 9, 2012 at 10:08 am #

Wow, you’re moving to Paris? How exciting! I hope you can join us for sewing Macaron, and I definitely think you should give the Hazel dress a try :)

• anna July 9, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

Yes, just found out during the weekend that I got the PhD grant I was applying for. I will try Hazel as well, but probably in the fall. I’ll try to catch up to Macaron :)

12. paunnet July 9, 2012 at 5:22 am #

I LOVE this technique of turning the facing outside. Great idea. Oh, and lovely dress, the colour is beautiful!

13. Sue July 8, 2012 at 9:32 pm #

I love the aqua! what a great idea :)

14. Gillian July 8, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

Totally adorable, as always! :)

15. MarrieB July 8, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

Great dress! I love the pleats and your top stitching looks perfect. And are those new glasses? I’m totally digging them.

• Rochelle New July 9, 2012 at 10:10 am #

Thank you! They are new-ish glasses. They’re vintage and very special to me so I don’t wear them often, but I love them.

16. Ginger July 8, 2012 at 7:30 pm #

Really, really cute! I love that you came up with a new and super-cute idea when the gingham didn’t work out… way to be resourceful and not let cheap-o fabric defeat you!

• Rochelle New July 9, 2012 at 10:12 am #

Thanks! I’m definitely going to use the gingham in another project. Maybe as a ruffly under layer of a skirt or something.

17. Sarah Gilbert July 8, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

Pretty, pretty, pretty! I love all the shades of aqua. They suit you so well. :)

18. theperfectnose July 8, 2012 at 6:52 pm #

Beautiful. Those colours really suit you. Perhaps you can use the crappy gingham to line a skirt or a bag?

• Rochelle New July 9, 2012 at 10:14 am #

Great idea! I’m definitely going to use it for something. Skirt or bag lining is a good possibility! Thanks :)

19. Rachel Booth July 8, 2012 at 6:51 pm #

I love this…especially in the ombre style!!! Might have to copy!!! :)

• Rochelle New July 9, 2012 at 10:14 am #

Thanks! You should give it a try! I was thinking warm oranges and rust tones for fall would be a neat color scheme too.

20. Izabelle July 8, 2012 at 6:45 pm #

Cute! And hot damn your top stitching is straight.

• Rochelle New July 9, 2012 at 10:15 am #

Thank you! That’s a damn good compliment for a seamstress :)

21. pincushiontreats July 8, 2012 at 6:13 pm #

Another lovely dress! The topstitching details is a great addition. It definitely makes it look more polished.

1. 7 Amazing Sewing Blogs You Should Read | Sky Turtle - November 16, 2012

[...] I´ve seen lately. Just look at her versions of the Colette Patterns Macaron dress and her Hazel dress in 3 tones of mint. Apart from sewing inspiration and some tips, Lucky Lucille always comes with a [...]