Completed: Lisette Continental Dress

I bought this dress pattern recently, but in the spirit of stash busting I told myself I wouldn’t buy new fabric to make it. (I did anyway but that’s not the point.) This fabric has been tucked away in my fabrics bin for quite some time, but I didn’t realize exactly how long until I looked at the date on the salvage… SINCE 2006!! SIX YEARS!!! That’s shameful! I also didn’t realize it’s by Alexander Henry! He’s one of my favorite fabric designers now.

I didn’t really tweak this pattern much except for a few additions. I added the little front pocket, a belt, and some ric rac to the collar before binding it. I also did a huge “pillow case” hem on the bottom.

Lisette calls this the “Continental Dress”, but I think it looks like more of a Clam Bake dress. Or a Market Fresh Sandwhich Dress. …I don’t know why but the fabric reminds me of Arby’s haha! If it reminds you of a kitchen curtain, that’s because it’s supposed to be.

It’s a good dress for a creemee date though I’ll tell ya that.

Also a great dress for a 4th of July family drive.

Lucille knows that adventure time means Indiana Jones hat time. Adventure we did!

The Lisette Continental is definitely a good all purpose dress and a suuuupppper easy project. I finished it in just a few hours, and that includes tracing and cutting the pattern first! I bought the pattern specifically for the dress, but I may just have to give the separates a try one of these days.

I have to say, I’m really loving these easy one day projects. No zippers, no interfacing, no hassle. It’s pretty nice.

In other news, I’m piecing my Hazel dress together now after a gingham fabric catastrophe. I scratched the gingham idea completely after realizing it’s too sheer and not worth underlining. Now I’m doing an ombre style color block Hazel in aqua colors! Hopefully it turns out nicely.

Happy Independence Day every one!

Other Outfit Details
shoes: Target
bag: Moresca
hat: Target (stolen from the Mr.)
hair:  Slique
glasses: Ray Ban

, , , ,

38 Responses to Completed: Lisette Continental Dress

1. Lavender July 9, 2012 at 10:52 am #

Creemees!!! This dress is too adorbs. Perfect New England summer dress.

2. theperfectnose July 5, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

Love the dress, love the doog. Somehow I thought that pattern featured an elastic waist…

• Rochelle New July 5, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

Thank you! There is no elastic involved. The pattern does include a pattern piece to make a fabric tie for the waist, but I decided to forgo that and make my own.

3. Liz Alexandre July 5, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

This is great – somehow you make ric-rac look great instead of looking like it is a dress for a five year old. I wish I could master that!

• Rochelle New July 5, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

Haha, thank you! I don’t think it’s that hard of a skill to “master” ;)

4. Caitlin A. July 5, 2012 at 6:13 pm #

Beastie smiles! Also, lovely dress friend :)

5. Sarah Gilbert July 5, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

What a lovely dress! Lucille, as always, steals the show!

6. Miss Crayola Creepy July 5, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

Always cute! Maybe you had the fabric for so long because you were waiting for the perfect project? :)

• Rochelle New July 5, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

Perhaps ;) …but seriously, SIX YEARS?!! lol That’s so long!

7. ShanniLoves... July 5, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

Love your version of the dress! I just love this pattern, so easy for an inexperienced sewer like me. Love the ric rac and pocket you added!

• Rochelle New July 5, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

Thank you! I think this is the perfect pattern for a beginner, and it also allows you to add more advanced things when you’re ready. It’s a great jumping off point, and also great for lazy sewers like me ;)

8. Lauren July 5, 2012 at 10:50 am #

Girl you are KILLING me with your & Lucille’s cuteness. Just stop already, argh!

Haha but seriously – cute dress! I love the rickrack!

• Rochelle New July 5, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

I think Lucille has killed me on numerous occasions with her cuteness haha!! Sometimes I look at her ridiculous face and I choke up a little. I can’t help it.

But seriously – thank you ;)

9. Agoodwardrobe July 5, 2012 at 10:28 am #

So sweet! I love print!

10. Gillian July 5, 2012 at 9:06 am #

You are the undeniable queen of ricrac! The dress looks so happy and fun – I hope you enjoyed the 4th of July! Out of curiousity, how did this pattern compare to the New Look 6022?

• Rochelle New July 5, 2012 at 9:22 am #

Thanks! We did enjoy the 4th :) Continental is VERY similar to 6022 though much simpler since both pieces are cut on the fold, and there is no key hole cut out in the back piece. I’m pretty sure this dress is longer too. I think this dress has more ease of wear built in, so I ended up taking it in a little at the sides, but I actually prefer the way it fits over the New Look dress, because it’s a bit more shapely in the cut (it has a bit of a dip at the waist). But I really like the little pleats in the 6022 neck line instead of the gathers in this one. I just really like the look of pleats. I think I might make this dress again but with a pleated neck line, and then it will be the best of both worlds!

• Gillian July 5, 2012 at 9:32 am #

That DOES sound like it would be a good combo! Now you are making me want ot sew up a comfy summer shift dress instead of tackling the linen Cambie I’m supposed to be making for my sister… I’m afraid of my first FBA!

• Rochelle New July 5, 2012 at 9:44 am #

Oooo a linen Cambie sounds awfully pretty! Yeah, FBA’s do sound a bit scary, but I know you can do it! No darts or FBA’s of any kind to be made on the Continental FYI ;)

• Gillian July 5, 2012 at 9:48 am #

I’m finding it waaay more imtimidating to sew for someone else – What if I mess it up? Maybe I’ll reward myself with a nice easy dress after.

11. sallieforrer July 5, 2012 at 8:52 am #

Its such a perfect dress for easy summer days (and yes, very apropos for the 4th)! I think summer is all about easy projects. Its just too depressing to stay inside all day fussing over some sewing! I think your Hazel dress sounds beautiful – I can’t wait to see it.

• Rochelle New July 5, 2012 at 9:23 am #

I totally agree! Hopefully my Hazel turns out as beautifully as it sounds ;)

12. CuckooChanel July 5, 2012 at 8:27 am #

Summer perfection. Love the dress and the print! Adorable creemee date pics.

13. Helen Made July 5, 2012 at 3:05 am #

Love this dress. The fabric is amazing. I’ve actually got this dress in my pattern stash as it came free with sewing magazine. I thought the dress looked like a good all purpose dress and you’ve just prooved my point! I think it may be moving further up the ‘to sew’ pile!

• Rochelle New July 5, 2012 at 9:24 am #

It’s a great dress and SO SO simple to make! It’s only two pieces (plus the bias tape bits) and both are cut on the fold. It goes together in a snap. You should move it to the top of the “to sew” pile ;)

14. Ginger July 4, 2012 at 10:31 pm #

Really, really cute! I love this print!

• Rochelle New July 5, 2012 at 9:25 am #

Thanks! I love the fabric too but I wasn’t sure if I’d look too much like a kitchen curtain if I wore it. …turns out I don’t care lol I love this dress!

15. Kati Bannister July 4, 2012 at 10:21 pm #

That dress is adorable!!!! I can’t wait to see your hazel,

• Rochelle New July 5, 2012 at 9:25 am #

Thank you :) I’ll definitely be posting Hazel pics next!

16. Meg @ Mood Fabrics July 4, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

Adorable dress! Yeah, summer sewing is all about easy.

• Rochelle New July 5, 2012 at 9:26 am #

Thank you! I totally agree. It’s so nice to get up early and whip out a cute dress in time for a late lunch date :)

17. Laura Poehlman July 4, 2012 at 8:53 pm #

So easy to wear and cute! I totally bought that pattern for the skirt pattern, but you have shown me the error of my ways. I can suddenly see quite clearly the power of this as a stashbuster. Brava!

• Rochelle New July 5, 2012 at 9:45 am #

It is a great little stash buster, and I really can’t stress enough how simple it is to make!

1. Style rules, what are yours? - November 26, 2013

[…] Go check out the story for this dress at Lucky Lucille & meet Lucille too! […]