Halloween Peony

Well first off, let me just say that my battle with the fit of this dress was a tough one. Everything I tried seemed to work for one issue, but then make another one worse. In the end I altered this pattern SO much that I can’t even call it a Peony anymore! This is technically a wearable muslin, and I’m happy enough with it to just throw in the towel and move on to another project. I’m not cutting into my prized Ghastlies fabric to make something that doesn’t fit. BUT! I will say I’m super happy with how my alterations turned out, and it was definitely worth cutting into this half priced Halloween fabric from Joann’s, as well as the learning experience I gained.

I ended up doing ALL the alterations I mentioned in my previous post, with the addition of the little tucks at the front neck to counter the front gaping caused by deepening the back darts. It’s kind of hard to see in these photos, but instead of widening the bodice darts completely I just rotated them outwards towards the bust. Then I raised the position of the bust darts and made them much shorter. Those two alterations alone made a HUGE difference in the shape and fit.

You can see how much I took in the back darts! It still gaps a bit at the neck, but no where near as badly as before. The hook and eye closure helped a wee bit too. I added 2 inches to the bodice length and thought it would be perfect after the seam allowance, but it’s about a half inch too long now. Still, it’s a much better than being too short!

I skipped the sleeves and facings and used bias tape to bind the neck and armholes instead. I’m really not a fan of sleeves or facings. Plus, bias tape is freaking awesome.

Petticoats are the best inventions ever! I can’t get enough of them! I thought a cemetery was an appropriate place to take photos of my Halloween dress, but I have been known to hang out in cemeteries on any occasion. Ok, now for some gratuitous photos of myself being a dork…

Annnnd just so you guys don’t think I’m a total square who takes themselves way too seriously…

YAY FLUFFY DRESSES!!!!!1! Oh, p.s. I got my Lucille fabric from Spoonflower in today and it’s AMAZING!! More on that later ;)

Can’t wait to see how everyone else’s Peony dresses turn out!

Have a great weekend :)

—————————
other outfit details
shoes, tights, and belt: old navy
hair: sugar rush
leaf hair clip:  made by me!
glasses: ray-ban

33 Responses to Halloween Peony

1. Amanda Russell October 23, 2012 at 11:23 am #

Love it! And love the goofy shots too! ^__^

2. Miss Crayola Creepy October 22, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

Go Rochelle!!!! :)

3. Ginger October 21, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

This turned out really cool– whatever it takes to get a wearable dress! ;)

4. SuchaStrangeGirl October 21, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

I know I already told you I love that fabric but it’s cuter as this dress than I could have imagined! I must admit it’s comforting to know that you had a lot of the same fit issues as me. What a difficult pattern this had been for me. As always, I love your changes and your styling. You look stunning and these pics are great and fun.

• Rochelle New October 23, 2012 at 10:59 am #

Aww thank you so much! I think nearly everyone is having fit issues with this dress, so don’t get discouraged!

5. Caitlin A. October 21, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

I adore that dress! Especially the petticoat! And all of it!

6. nova October 21, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

Cool pictures!!

7. Sarah October 21, 2012 at 11:56 am #

Oh awesomeness!!! I pink puffy heart this fabulous dress!!! I am so glad you tackled all the alterations and made a dress that fits you and that you love. Your photoshoot is so fun and I am in pea-green envy of that fabulous petticoat! Where oh where did you find it?

8. sallieforrer October 21, 2012 at 9:41 am #

I love it!! Its totally a sweet dress – true peony or no!

9. Scruffybadger October 21, 2012 at 8:06 am #

Great photos!!! I love how your “wearable muslin” has turned out, it looks super flattering and that poufffy skirt is dreamy!! Fun that its Halloween fabric too !!!

10. Lizzy October 21, 2012 at 6:04 am #

adorable and so you! Love it!

11. ozzyblackbeard October 21, 2012 at 4:59 am #

Oh my goodness! Your dress is gorgeous!! It’s definately worth all the hard work, and I love the petticoat too. :)

12. the Garment Farmer October 21, 2012 at 12:49 am #

love the undershot of the petticoat–looks fantastic! very cute dress. I hope the other fabric gets to make its debut as a dress one day too ;)

• Rochelle New October 23, 2012 at 11:12 am #

Thank you! I’m gonna try to whip up a ghastlie dress for my trip, cuz it’s just too awesome to just leave in my stash. We’ll see!

13. Izabelle October 21, 2012 at 12:23 am #

The last photos are the BEST.

14. Neeno - Sew Me Love October 21, 2012 at 12:10 am #

That’s an AWESOME dress!! Photo shoot is great! :D

15. ShanniLoves... October 20, 2012 at 8:36 pm #

I love it and your pics are great! I had to make a ton of alterations on mine too. Just got done cutting mine out. I changed the neckline and drafted a peter pan collar. Fingers crossed that it turns out!

16. Caro October 20, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

after all that hard work- and with such a nice result- I think you should make a second! Maybe just wait a few months before you come back to it. I always find that works.

• Rochelle New October 23, 2012 at 11:13 am #

I think you’re right. Great tip! Thank you :)

17. cowroad October 20, 2012 at 7:46 pm #

What a great post Rochelle! You always make me smile! :-)
    Any ideas on making a petticoat myself?

1. Nightshade Skirt | Lucky Lucille - October 28, 2012

[...] While I’m sad I didn’t finish my planned Ghastlies dress in time, I did get to wear my Halloween Peony Dress and this awesome skirt I just [...]

2. Peony Alterations – A Closer Look | Lucky Lucille - October 22, 2012

[...] that I’ve revealed my final Peony muslin, I wanted to share a bit of the process on how I finally reached a decent [...]