Nightshade Skirt

Hi there! I just got back from an awesome little trip to Salem, MA over the weekend. While I’m sad I didn’t finish my planned Ghastlies dress in time, I did get to wear my Halloween Peony Dress and this awesome skirt I just made.

This fabric is from Tula Pink’s collection called Nightshade and was gifted to me by the most wonderful Gina of The Little General! I LOVE this fabric!!

This skirt pattern was a recent thrift store find (vintage Simplicity 6522) and an absolute dream to sew up! I didn’t have to make a single alteration to the fit, which was a real breath of fresh air after all the trouble I had with Peony.

Of course we had to take a stroll through Salem’s oldest cemetery for some photos! Contrary to what you might gather from these shots, there was actually a straight up mob of people in all of historic Salem throughout the entire weekend. (Which was to be expected, of course.) I’m really impressed with how well Wil and I kept the hundreds of people out of frame!

I love taking photos in old cemeteries. The headstone designs are so ornate, the language is so different, and every single piece of artwork on the stone has a special meaning. Stones now-a-days are pretty boring in comparison.

After the cemetery we headed down to the Wharf to have some lunch!

The food was absolutely amazing which made it difficult to pull myself out of an impending food coma in time to get the car before heading to our scheduled tour at The House of Seven Gables. I was really aiming to eat my body weight in crustaceans over the course of the weekend but that didn’t happen. I did however ended up spilling tea on my skirt before we left (I’m blaming it on the near food coma), but luckily it didn’t stain. I’m chock full of grace and charm I tell ya.

I found these super amazing retro zombie tarot cards in the gift shop and couldn’t resist!! They’re so cool!

The quaint little garden plus a sea front property easily makes the House of Seven Gables one of my dream homes. …minus the tourists.

I love the yoke detail on the front! The mid-rise waist makes this skirt ridiculously comfortable and easy to wear. I think next time I make it I’ll try mixing prints for a contrast at the yoke and pocket linings.

Well I think this could easily be one of my “TNT” patterns that Sunni was mentioning last week. I guess I’ll have to make it a few more times and find out.

The real reason we went to Salem is to attend two crazy parties at the Hawthorne Hotel. I got a little crazy myself I must admit …I had THREE Shirley Temples. Yeah. I’m the life of the party I’ll tell ya ;) I already posted a few photos on instagram of my costume from the second night, which I did not make, but it’s worth sharing anyways. It reaallllly makes me want to go back to school for costume design!!

How was your weekend?

, ,

19 Responses to Nightshade Skirt

1. Kerry (Kestrel) November 2, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

I love your skirt, that colour is fantastic on you and it’s such a fun print. I also have that same pattern and your verison makes me want to bump it up my making queue.

• Rochelle New November 2, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

Thank you! You should definitely make one for yourself :)

2. ozzyblackbeard October 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

Your skirt is lovely! I really like the shape of the yoke, and the ric rac; and the photos of Salem are amazing!

3. Gina Ponzi Fornecker October 30, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

Hooray for Salem and cute skirts! Thanks for the shout out; you’re amazing! (:

4. lumierelanuit October 30, 2012 at 12:25 am #

I love the tarot cards. I have to get to Salem someday soon.

• Rochelle New November 2, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

Yes you do!! It’s so fun. You’d love it!

5. Sarah October 29, 2012 at 10:33 pm #

Oh, flip! I adore this skirt! The print is spectacular and the skirt is fabulous on you! Nice touches with the rick rack and the faboo top-stitching! :)

6. Caitlin A. October 29, 2012 at 8:35 pm #

Salem is a neat little town isn’t it? So much interesting history :)

7. Ginger October 29, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

What a fun trip! I’ve never been there, but it sounds really fun (and spooky)! Your skirt is way cute!

• Rochelle New October 29, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

Thank you! Yeah I’ve been to Salem many times, and every time I go I get more creeped out by the living people haha!

8. sallieforrer October 29, 2012 at 9:53 am #

A weekend in Salem sounds like the PERFECT way to celebrate Halloween!! I’m so very jealous! Love your nightshades skirt, and the tarot cards – and just how haunted was that cemetery? I’m betting SUPER haunted!

• Rochelle New October 29, 2012 at 8:41 pm #

Yeah it was a fun little trip! I always enjoy Salem, though visiting so near Halloween is probably my least favorite time to go. I think the town is haunted by more disrespectful tourists than anything ha ha ;)

9. Izabelle October 29, 2012 at 12:31 am #

I want to eat my weight in crustaceans! I miss making clothes for myself. What I’m doing now is all sample size and sadly, I am not sample size. *sigh* My week’s been pretty hectic so I did absolutely NOTHING this weekend. Nada. Zip. Zilch. I ate my weight in potatoes and cuddled with my furbabies. Glad yours was more eventful!

• Rochelle New October 29, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

Are you working on top secret things? Cuz I would LOVE to see your designs!! Everything I’ve seen you make is so imaginative and amazing. Your weekend also sounds wonderful. Maybe someday we will eat our weights in crustaceans. That will be the BEST weekend.

10. Miss Crayola Creepy October 28, 2012 at 11:59 pm #

Rochelle, I hope you didn’t drive after those drinks!!!! ;)

The skirt is so adorable! I’m glad you got to wear new clothes on your trip. It makes packing more exciting! Xo

• Rochelle New October 29, 2012 at 12:09 am #

Hahah! I never drive under the influence ;)

I love making new clothes more than buying them! I can’t wait to make another variation of that skirt.