1940s New England Day Dress

1940s New England Day Dress

And now for my latest sewing project, I present you with the 1940′s New England Day Dress by Decades of Style patterns. I LOVE this dress! So much in fact that I have plans to make it again (and possibly again!). It fits like a dream with absolutely zero alterations made, and it’s ridiculously flattering if I do say so myself.

1940sDayDress

1940sDayDress3

1940sDayDress4

I meant to make the long sleeve version of this dress but I ran out of fabric and couldn’t find any more yardage of it anywhere. It’s a cotton print that I bought at Joann Fabrics and I just can’t get enough of it! (both literally and figuratively). There’s not a single thing about this dress that I don’t like. The mock bib and pockets are absolutely darling and THE SLEEVESS!!!! Oh my goodness the sleeves. They’re actually darted in four places at the shoulder to give them that very structured poof. I want these sleeves on everything I sew from now on haha! I might have had enough fabric to make the long sleeves except this pattern has some seriously wonky facing pieces and nearly every single piece of this dress is cut on the fold, which I didn’t anticipate, so I thought I could cut corners with yardage. Not so much with this pattern! Oh well. Now I have an excuse to make the dress again with the long sleeves ;) Yes, ample arm coverage would have been more appropriate since this is what it looks like in my neck of the woods right now…

Notice my first ever knit project is getting lots of wear? ;) I may have to make a second one of those too!

SO MUCH SNOW! Hence the reason why I had to take most of these photos inside my house. It was near 10 degrees Fahrenheit out in that snowy New England woods! Not exactly ideal weather for my New England dress. Definitely not ideal for Miss Lucille either. Poor thing doesn’t tolerate the cold well.

1s

Lucille2

You can find us snuggled up next to the heater most days of the week. That’s the life I tell ya!

I hope everyone had a pleasant weekend!

, ,

52 Responses to 1940s New England Day Dress

1. Ria Lammens November 26, 2013 at 10:50 am #

Hello
    I like your blog ,the coton you used is so beautiful!
    I am living in belgium and it is verry dificult to find stores in america who ship fabrics to
    Here we cannot find such old fashioned prints!
    Can you sugest some webshops to me.
    Thanks o

2. lisad6791 October 19, 2013 at 8:07 am #

So glad I found this!!! I LOVE IT! It looks very much like a dress I had been eyeing from the Shabby Apple http://www.shabbyapple.com/p-1202-study-hall.aspx I will be making this too! :)

3. Charlotte Boyer February 7, 2013 at 5:39 pm #

Fabulous! The print is simply blissful, and I love that mock bib :)

-Charlotte

boyerfamilysingers.blogspot.com

4. Rochelle New January 22, 2013 at 10:23 pm #

Hi Tina :) Thank you for taking the time to say hello!! I’d love to see your version of the dress. I just checked out you blog and I’m most definitely adding it to my reader!! Love it! Xo

5. ooobop January 13, 2013 at 7:56 am #

Oh Rochelle! I am absolutely speechless!…. That is the most gorgeous dress I have ever seen. Style and fabric… and oh yes those sleeves! Who would need another dress pattern? You look totally amazing! Have finally got some photos of me with your lovely bag. Post coming v shortly!

6. Alice January 7, 2013 at 7:29 am #

OK, ok, i admit it i adore so much your new dress and all your styling that i’m jealous! Seriously like Lauren says the 40′s are your decade! It suits you so well, the lipstick color, the hand knitted headband, ext… i love everything! You can knit a pair of mittens or hand warmer to match the headband! But you are absolutely lovely with these style! Awww i’m almost jealous… haha !

7. Helen Made January 4, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

This is so pretty! I love this dress! Loving the knitted headband too – might have to whip one of those up myself!

8. Sky Turtle January 3, 2013 at 1:10 pm #

this looks great! i love how it goes with your knitted headband and coat too :)

9. Maddie Flanigan January 2, 2013 at 9:31 pm #

what a great dress and what great photographs of the dress! It’s stupid to say but this dress is TOTALLY ROCHELLE (and Lucille too!)

10. Lauren January 2, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

Honestly, you’re so gorgeous you’d probably still look good in a dirty potato sack BUT REGARDLESS, the 40s is definitely your decade. You look beautiful, and also I admit that I am in no way jealous of the snow y’all got :)

• Rochelle New January 2, 2013 at 8:55 pm #

Lololol you’re so hilarious and also sweet. Thank you :) Yeah it’s NEGATIVE TWENTY degrees outside right now, and I’m not going to lie… that totally sucks haha!

11. Caitlin A. January 1, 2013 at 7:12 pm #

I just LOVE that dress! I want it in every fabric, and I also want your mad sewing skillz.

12. stacy January 1, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

love. love. love. just bought the pattern because i must have.

• Rochelle New January 1, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

Yay!! I’d love to see your version when you finish :)

13. thegarmentfarmer December 31, 2012 at 9:22 pm #

Love the pattern and the fabric you chose–very beautiful combo, and it looks awesome with your dark locks! Gorgeous!!

14. Houseofpinheiro December 31, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

My favourite outfit of the year… Happy new year x

• Rochelle New December 31, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

Thanks, I think it’s my favorite too! Here’s to 2013!

15. ozzyblackbeard December 31, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

This is gorgeous! I, too, love the top of the sleeves, and the shape and fabric is fab.

16. Sarah December 31, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

Oh, my heavens, you look glorious!!! That dress! That fabric! The knitted turban! Gah!!! You glamour puss, you! :)

17. Cynthia Pyatt December 31, 2012 at 10:40 am #

This came out absolutely perfect. Have fun I’m all that snow for me!

• Rochelle New December 31, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

Thank you! I’ll be having lots of fun in the snow. Plenty of snow fun to share :)

18. sallieforrer December 31, 2012 at 9:51 am #

You and the dress look fantastic!! Loving you as a brunette, and I love the casual-yet-structured vibe of this 40′s look! Is “Practical Glamour” a thing? Because that’s what I’m thinking of here!

• Rochelle New December 31, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

Thank you, thank you <3 I think practical glamour was the very essence of the 40s! Especially during the war. I'm so happy my "look" is coming off that way :)

19. bubiknits December 31, 2012 at 7:56 am #

Gorgeous!! All in this photoshoot is gorgeous! You are so so so much beautiful Rochelle! Happy new year and welcome on Ravelry!

• Rochelle New December 31, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

Thank you! You are so sweet! I’m excited to be on Ravelry.

20. asewingodyssey.blogspot.co.uk December 31, 2012 at 5:48 am #

Oh wow, what a beautiful dress! I can see why you’d want to make it again…and again!!!

21. Julia Bobbin December 31, 2012 at 2:59 am #

Dear God, I love this dress so much it hurts! It HURTS I tells you!

22. Izabelle December 31, 2012 at 2:30 am #

I love that fabric and I LOVE Lucille. Also, you are way cute.

23. davmac71 December 30, 2012 at 11:46 pm #

That is absolutely adorable! I love how the front buttons up like that.
    Gosh, you have such a tiny figure! That’s great that the pattern fit you with no alterations needed. I’m a tiny bit bigger than you and I have so much trouble getting things to fit me.
    I’m totally jealous of your weather. It’s the middle of summer down here and humid!
    I discovered your blog last week and I just LOVE your style!

Noelle xo

• Rochelle New December 30, 2012 at 11:56 pm #

Thank you, Noelle! Yes, I come from a family of tiny figures haha :) Not that I’m complaining really, but it does make sewing and alterations difficult sometimes. I guess I should sew vintage sizes more often! Thanks for stopping by to say hello! Do you have a blog? I’d love to check it out :)

• davmac71 January 20, 2013 at 4:09 pm #

I missed your reply.My husband has done something to my Google account :/
        My blog is http://www.sewelle-noelle.blogspot.com. It’s nowhere near as interesting as your blog though!

24. Ginger December 30, 2012 at 11:46 pm #

Oh, wow, what a GORGEOUS dress! It’s so perfect! I love the shape so much on you, and the print is just too fab! Poor Lucille– it’s way too cold for her! The pugs are really enjoying the fireplace at their grandma & grandpa’s house– I have to tear them away to go outside on walks and stuff them into their coats and sweatshirts!

• Rochelle New December 30, 2012 at 11:58 pm #

Thanks you! I know, poor little single coated puppy dogs just can’t do the cold. But they sure do look cute stuffed in their coats don’t they? ;) Lucille actually likes being stuffed in coats. She’s sleeping in her sweater right now!

25. Tasha @ By gum, by golly! December 30, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

I just love it! What a fun shape and those sleeves are amazing. Love, love, love the bib too. And it’s so great in that print!

• Rochelle New December 30, 2012 at 11:18 pm #

Why thank you! <3 I could most definitely see you in this dress! You should make one :)

26. Gina Ponzi Fornecker December 30, 2012 at 11:14 pm #

I love love LOVE it!! I would make one for myself–only with a growing baby bump that might make things, well, interesting…(; You look lovely as always!

• Rochelle New December 30, 2012 at 11:18 pm #

Thank you, Gina! This dress is rather fitted at the waist, but that doesn’t mean you can’t sew one for post baby! ;) Congratulations again, Dear. I’m so very happy for you! <3

27. Christine Haynes December 30, 2012 at 11:09 pm #

It’s lovely! Every time I’ve seen this made up it wasn’t in fabric I’d pick, so it’s great to see your version! I can’t believe your fabric is from Joann’s! I’ve never found anything that nice there. And I personally love the short sleeves :) Simply lovely!

• Rochelle New December 30, 2012 at 11:14 pm #

Thank you so much! Yes I was actually quite surprised with this fabric myself. I forget who the designer is, but it’s really a nice quilting fabric. Comparable to what you’d find in an independent shop. I’m definitely a fan of short sleeves too, but WWII reenactments = must cover tattoos!

• Christine Haynes December 30, 2012 at 11:20 pm #

oh right, I forgot you’re being all official and all with your 40′s inspiration! well, that aside, it’s perfection!

1. milkweeds for the war effort | Lucky Lucille™ - October 29, 2013

[…] details: dress – handmade, sweater and apron – vintage, boots – […]

2. Sewing Inspiration: Vintage-Inspired Dress | Sew,Mama,Sew! Blog | - June 28, 2013

[...] first learned of this pattern when I saw the talented Rochelle from Lucky Lucille modeling her version. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it! It was also perfect for the 1940′s sew-a-long [...]

3. Recreated 1943 Mail Order Dress | Lucky Lucille - January 13, 2013

[...] are what the sleeves would have looked like on my blue floral New England Dress if I hadn’t run out of fabric. LOVE [...]

4. Fabric Wins and Bra Woes | Lucky Lucille - January 10, 2013

[...] I’m really blown away by everyone’s comments on my 1940′s New England Day Dress! I’m so thrilled that other people are interested in 1940′s sewing. Which got me to [...]