BREAKING NEWS: I’m actually knitting!!!!

Okay, so I guess that doesn’t exactly merit “breaking news” but I’m pretty excited about it. Also not meriting breaking news: I’M ON RAVELRY!!! Finally! I’ve been pining to join that site for years but never had a reason to make an account until now.

Wanna see my kitting progress? Don’t laugh!! …okay you can laugh. It’s pretty hilarious actually. (Please excuse the poor quality phone photos to follow…)

knit1

I’m working through the Knit Lab class on Craftsy, and it IS actually teaching me how to knit! It was pretty frustrating for me at first since I’ve never even held a pair of knitting needles in my life, so I had to pause and rewind the video a million times before I could actually link a second row after my cast on stitches… BUT I’m finally getting it! You can see my first little square attempt in the photo above. I started the class 2 nights ago and ended up knitting until 2am because I didn’t want to forget what I was learning!

knit2

This is my first ever bind off attempt. It took me a few stitches to get it right haha!

knit3

This is my second, much bigger square attempt. Ignore the accidental dropped stitches and terrible tension. I told you it’s hilarious!

knit4

Lucille MUCH prefers knitting to sewing! She can’t sit in my lap when I’m sewing ;)

So far I’m really loving the Knit Lab class, but I’m definitely not ready to work through that scarf project yet. It’s a really cute scarf though, so I’ll definitely get back to it when I get a little better with my tension and stitches. In the meantime, I’m attempting the It’s A Cinch Headband pattern by Elisa McLaughlin on Ravelry since it’s a free pattern and it only involves the skills I know. Hopefully it will be a success!

Fear not fellow sewists! I have not abandoned my favorite crafty trade! In fact, I recently finished the 1940′s New England Dress (all except the bottom hem) and plan to share photos after the holiday.

I hope everyone has a very merry holiday season and happy new year!

11 Responses to BREAKING NEWS: I’m actually knitting!!!!

1. Lavender49 January 18, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

I love your model. Lucille is beautiful. 6 months ago our sweet Sara, who could looks almost exactly like Lucille, was taken from us to the Rainbow Bridge. When i saw Lucille, she took my breath away. You are very fortunate. And i love your blog also. I live for the vintage clothing.

2. Jo January 5, 2013 at 7:53 pm #

Woo knitting! I’ve really gotten into it since I started at the end of 2011. So much fun :) I’m pinkcatflower on Ravelry ;) (weird name I know, lol) :)

3. Sky Turtle January 3, 2013 at 1:11 pm #

Haha, Lucille’s face says it all. And what cute missed rows :D

4. Alice December 29, 2012 at 6:18 am #

So great! I was guessing from the first pic that Lucille was going to love that activity, haha! Have a lot of fun learning knitting!

5. Aubry Joy December 26, 2012 at 11:26 am #

I’m so excited because now we can knit together! :D I also definitely see knit sweaters in Lucille’s future…

6. Alex Mills December 25, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

Don’t worry I spent weeks doing doing the first part of that scarf again and again when I did knit lab. It does get easier!!

7. Ginger December 25, 2012 at 12:24 am #

Yay, I’m so excited for you! Knitting is SO much fun (and very doggie-friendly)! Merry Christmas and happy 2013!

8. Sarah December 24, 2012 at 8:30 pm #

Yay! Look at you go! You fabulous thing, you :) Merry Christmas!!!

9. Mary Nease December 24, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

Woo! I started knitting about two monthsish ago and I’m now working on my first sweater. I signed up for the Celtic Cables class because I really want to learn cables, but I have the feeling that I’ll need more visuals for learning than what the Stich ‘n’ Bitch Handbook can provide. Once I finish the Miette (my first sweater), I’ll give this Celtic Cables one a try. I just ordered my yarn for it today with some Christmas money and if it’s as pretty irl as it looks online, I might be abandoning my cheap yarn-made Miette for this new nice Irish yarn sweater.

And I’m MerrytheKnight on Ravelry, btw, and I’ll definitely add you!

10. ShanniLoves... December 24, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

I need to get on that class!! Your getting ahead of me! :)

11. Spencer December 24, 2012 at 6:57 pm #

Yay! When I first started knitting I made tons of square coasters to get the stitches down. It good practice for switching too! Welcome to the knitting club!