Friday Miscellany

Happy Friday, All!

I’m so excited for the weekend! I have a lot of sewing/reenactment errands to run, and there’s a Joann’s that’s closing and moving to a new location so they’re having an awesome sale (you better believe I’ll be hittin’ that up)! I also need to scout some thrift stores for penny loafers, sweaters, and other items that could pass as 1940′s era appropriate. I forget if I’ve mention this officially, but I’m one of the newest members of The Paper Dolls! It’s been a dream of mine to get into real reenacting and I’m sooooo excited that I’m actually doing it!

In other news, I’m really missing my dark hair and I think it’s time for a change. I’ve been a redhead for well over a year and I’m really feeling the need to switch it up. Plus, it’s not like I’m making any “real” commitments here. I mean, this is the very reason why wearing wigs is awesome! New hair in 30 seconds!!

newhair

I am in fact a girl, so suffice it to say, I look at ladies like Dita Von Teese and other dark haired beauties and go “OMGZ I WANT HER HAIR!!”. lol Who could blame me? So I think dark hair it is for a while! My ginger eyebrow pencil is almost gone anyways so if that’s not a sign to switch hair colors, then I don’t know what is ;) I could pass as Erin’s sister now, don’t you think? lol I wish!

p.s. That’s one of my new hair scarf designs that I’m working on currently. I’m making a bunch for the reenactment and will add them online in the near future.

And now for more unorganized miscellany:

I’m guest posting some last minute handmade holiday gift ideas on Sarah’s blog today! Check it out if you want to know how to make things like this fancy looking bleach dot clutch
designsponge-diy-12-5-merrilee-clutch-2

Have you seen Gillian’s new blog series for your Top Five of 2012? It’s a fantastic idea!! I think I’ll have to join in!
top5

What I’m reading:
Well I read “In My Hands” and “The Solider’s Wife” in record time (like in a day), and have since moved on to “The Bronze Horsemen“. (All WWII stories. No surprise there.) Which reminds me, I’m on Good Reads now! TELL ME WHAT BOOKS TO READ! …please :)

On YouTube:
William just shared this hilarious video with me earlier of the ultimate dog shaming. This little guy is HILARIOUS!! Seriously? Who rolls on a whole deli pickle? …actually I really love pickles, so if I was a dog I’d totally do that.

Also watching and dying to try Fleur’s easy 1940′s hair tutorial with hot hair sticks. So pretty!

What I’m sewing:
So many things! Mostly stuff for, you guessed it, my reenactment. So that means pretty much every Simplicity 1940′s repro pattern, and this awesome New England Dress by Decades of Style! Lucille approves ;)

decadesofgoober

Well that’s probably enough miscellany for now. I’ll be back soon with some actual finished garments to share!

What are your plans for the weekend?

13 Responses to Friday Miscellany

1. April March 3, 2013 at 1:05 am #

Headscarf is just adorable! And can I ask where you got those cute glasses? Thanks!

• Rochelle New March 3, 2013 at 7:46 am #

They’re Ray Bans from Lens Crafters. I’ve had them almost 3 years now so I’m not sure if they still have them, but the Zenni optical website has a similar pair of frames that are very inexpensive :)

2. Maddie Flanigan December 19, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

I’m sad to see that you left the redhead club but it’s a welcome change. You look great! Good luck with all your reenactment sewing!

3. Amber from Berlinswhimsy December 16, 2012 at 10:48 pm #

I’m looking forward to your new scarves! I have two of your current design & love them.:-)

Have you read ‘Code Name Verity’ by Elizabeth Wein?

4. Caitlin A. December 16, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

You (and Lucille) are so adorable. I love the idea of the Paper Dolls, so awesome that that exists!

5. Ginger December 15, 2012 at 9:39 pm #

You look so cute! :)

6. sallieforrer December 15, 2012 at 10:00 am #

You look so gorgeous as a brunette! I love it!! Seriously, one of the best things about being a girl are all the fun little things we can play with, should we choose. I’m always in full support of a switch up – especially such a low commitment switch up!!

I am seriously chomping at the bit to see the photos of your reenactment. I can’t wait!

7. Casey December 15, 2012 at 7:35 am #

Yes for the dark hair!!! :D My sister is thinking of dying her’s a rich dark brown at the moment, and I think it’s always so striking! I’ve actually been contemplating going the opposite (once I can dye my hair again…) and going more blond. hehe! I’ve always had a fair amount of blond in my hair, especially if I would spend more time outside (somehow, sewing keeps me indoors too much… haha!), but lately I’ve been curious about how I’d look lighter all over. I’m just such a chicken about big changes like that. haha!

So fun about the reenacting! :D Can’t wait to see how that dress turns out–it’s going to be so pretty! I was going through all my 40s patterns the other day, and getting tempted by all the simple, but glamorous silhouettes I love. (Which, if you’d like to borrow any of my original patterns, just let me know! :) )

8. ddixieb December 14, 2012 at 11:23 pm #

Reading suggestion — Mr. Churchill’s Secretary by Susan Elia MacNeal & Enigma by Robert Harris. The movie, Enigma, with Kate Winslet and Dougray Scott is one of my favorites. They did a wonderful job portraying WWII England.

9. Carlee December 14, 2012 at 10:36 pm #

1. That picture of Lucille is adorable!

2. That dog shaming made my day. The panda face especially!

3. Can’t wait to see your new hair scarf in the shop!

10. Gillian December 14, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

I’m glad you’ll be joining in the Top 5 lists! :) I dare you to have at least one list where every single picture includes Lucille!

11. Miss Crayola Creepy December 14, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

Sis, I can’t wait to buy your new head scarves!! And thanks for posting all these cool links! I have some lurking to do…

12. HouseOFpinheiro December 14, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

Dark hair is darling on you..