It’s a Cinch!

Turban1

Hey I finished my first ever knitting project!! I’m still working through the Craftsy Knit Lab course, but I wanted to practice the few things I learned so far before moving forward in the class and trying to learn the other stitches. I found the “It’s a Cinch” headband pattern on Ravelry and thought it would be the perfect project for me to start with.

turban2

I’m so glad I attempted a super easy project first! I never got discouraged or overwhelmed with this headband, so Knitting and I are still friends thus far ;) I’m still pretty proud of myself for FINALLY picking up a pair of knitting needles and giving it a go. I’m in a strange position with knitting after working at a fabric and yarn boutique: I know a lot about needles and yarn, but I never knew what to do with them until recently! It feels good to be able to put the two together and actually make something now.

So what’s next?! Well I definitely need to learn some other stitches, so I better get back to the Craftsy course and then move on to another project!

I expect everyone had some nice time off for the Holidays and enjoyed time with family. I know I did. Vermont is getting pounded with snow right now! It’s putting a serious damper on my ability to take blog photos, but the snowboarding has been awesome so I can’t complain too much. I’m waiting for the weather to break so I can FINALLY take photos of my latest sewing project!! Soon I hope…

Until next time!

, , ,

23 Responses to It’s a Cinch!

1. Jo January 5, 2013 at 8:17 pm #

Oh well done! You must be so proud. I bet you’ll be knitting up a storm in no time :)

2. Tasha @ By gum, by golly! December 30, 2012 at 11:18 pm #

I know I saw it on Instagram too but finally getting over to the post, YAY! It’s a great first project. Welcome to the dangerously fun world of knitting! ;)

• Rochelle New December 30, 2012 at 11:27 pm #

Haha thanks! Yeah, like I need another expensive hobby! I worked at a fabric and yarn boutique. I know the damage that can be done and I’m willing to risk it ;)

3. Ginger December 29, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

Yay! This is so cute! I love it! And yay for lots of good snow! Can’t wait to get up to Vermont!

• Rochelle New December 30, 2012 at 11:28 pm #

Thank you! Vermont is cooovvveeerrred in snow right now! Certainly a much better winter than we had last year. If you make it up this way you better let me know!

• Ginger December 30, 2012 at 11:47 pm #

I will definitely hit you up! I’m a lousy skiier, though– as a native Midwesterner, I’m a latecomer to skis, so I scream and clumsily fumble my way down every mountain, but it sure is fun!

• Rochelle New December 30, 2012 at 11:52 pm #

Haha! Well I snowboard, but I’d be willing to get back on skis for a day so we can both be clumsy and laugh at each other ;)

4. ozzyblackbeard December 29, 2012 at 4:18 am #

It looks fab! What a great start to your knitting, good luck with your next project! ;)

5. ShanniLoves... December 27, 2012 at 6:45 pm #

Looking good!!! I’m at a stand still with my knitting until I can shovel my way through the snow to make it to the store to get me some wooden needles. Trying to learn on metal needles is not the way to go.

• Rochelle New December 30, 2012 at 11:29 pm #

Thanks! Yeah the snow in Vermont is a little insane right now too! At least where I live anyways. Hopefully you can make the trek soon and we can get to knitting :)

6. the Garment Farmer December 27, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

bravo! your headband is fabulous!! I’m excited for your progress–I tried crocheting last year, but I never got far ;) Can’t wait to see your future makes.

• Rochelle New December 30, 2012 at 11:30 pm #

Thank you :) I tried crocheting once too and got just as far lol. There are so many more options with knitting so it was worth it for me to try a little harder ;)

7. MarrieB December 27, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

Great job!! It’s fantastic, can’t believe you only picked up needles like a week ago! You’ll be knitting up sweaters in no time! :)

• Rochelle New December 30, 2012 at 11:31 pm #

Thanks! I don’t know about sweaters anytime soon, but I’m feeling pretty good about headbands ;)

8. Miss Crayola Creepy December 27, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

Ahhhh I love it!! It’s super cute and the perfect shade of yellow!

• Rochelle New December 30, 2012 at 11:31 pm #

I love the color too! I’m tellin’ ya, you need to make one!

9. SewCupcakeCouture December 27, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

I’ve been keeping up with your knitting journey and it made me want to relearn. I learned a loooooong time ago. So I went to buy the Knit Lab class during the sale and I discovered I purchased it last year…lol So now I have no reason not to pick up my needles again. I love your headband and may give it a try myself. :) -Andrea

• Rochelle New December 27, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

I think the Knit Lab class is ideal for your situation! You should definitely give this pattern a try when you get back into the swing of things. It’s the PERFECT beginner project :) Link me if you do so I can see!

10. Kerry December 27, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

That’s so cute! Well done for conquering knitting.

• Rochelle New December 27, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

Thank you! I don’t know about conquering, but I’ve got the yarn ball rolling so to speak ;) ;)

1. The Sherwood Cowl | Lucky Lucille - February 2, 2013

[...] is my second completed project (well, 3rd if you count the 2nd headband I made for my friend) and since I’m not really good enough to read patterns yet, I made this [...]

2. 1940s New England Day Dress | Lucky Lucille - December 30, 2012

[...] my first ever knit project is getting lots of wear? I may have to make a second one of those [...]