Ruby Star Vinyl Skirt

I finished my latest “me” project made from Melody Miller’s Ruby Star Vinyl fabric collection. It’s technically the bottom half of a Hazel dress that I added pleats and a waistband to. Soooo, it’s a Ruby Star Haznyl?

The waistband ended up being way too big so I have to belt it, which made the top all ruffly looking. I guess I don’t mind though. I need to stop measuring myself after eating a huge lunch or something because lately I can’t draft a proper fitting waistband to save my life! *sigh* I did do a pretty bang up job matching the side seams though so I’m happy with that. You win some, you lose some, I suppose.

Yeah I was totally freezing but my hair looked cute so who cares, right? I saw Tasha’s tutorial on how to do a vintage style backroll and I really wanted to try it out. There’s a way more complicated tutorial for the same look in this vintage hairstyle book I have and I could never get it right. Thank you Tasha for making sense of it for me! It works perfectly with one of my hair scarves, don’t you think?

It’s a hairstyle that looks especially magical with snow flurries mixed in ;) I’m hoping to head to The Vermont Country Store at some point this weekend (weather permitting) to pick up some supplies for a WWII reenactment that I’m participating in soon. SO excited!

What are you up to this weekend?

43 Responses to Ruby Star Vinyl Skirt

1. Sky Turtle December 11, 2012 at 7:55 am #

You look so cute! I love the skirt and the socks and the hair roll :>

2. Miss Crayola Creepy December 3, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

That border print is so perfect for that skirt!!! And I love the color combos going on here!

3. Sara @ Sew Sweetness December 3, 2012 at 4:21 pm #

LOVE THIS!!!!! SO MUCH!!!

4. Ginger December 3, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

Cuuuuuuuute! As always, you look gorgeous! Love the sweater, btw!

• Rochelle New December 3, 2012 at 11:40 pm #

Aww thank you! I’m a huge fan of Old Man Sweaters haha! I reeaaallllly need to learn how to knit. …or find a sweater sponsor lol

5. Tasha @ By gum, by golly! December 2, 2012 at 9:24 pm #

Seriously, that fabric print is amazing!! What total fun. It’s really making me want to do something with a great border print. And the hairstyle looks adorable on you, and perfect with the snowflakes. Glad you liked it, yay. :)

• Rochelle New December 2, 2012 at 11:10 pm #

Thank you, Tasha! Border prints are super fun. Melody Miller has some awesome ones. P.s. I’ve been a long time fan of your blog, but always a silent reader since I can’t leave a comment without the Name/URL option. Sorry about that :(

6. Amber from Berlinswhimsy December 2, 2012 at 6:51 pm #

Such a cute skirt and I love the photos, too! I am also drawn to your sweater— is it handmade?

• Rochelle New December 2, 2012 at 11:12 pm #

Thank you! And no, unfortunately my sweater is a cheap store purchase since I don’t know how to knit :( I need to learn though!!

7. Rebecca Wagner December 2, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

So cute, the snow makes it so pretty:) your hair also looks adorable:)

8. melody miller December 2, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

Well that is just adorable!

9. ozzyblackbeard December 2, 2012 at 2:23 pm #

Your skirt is great, I love the fabric. And your hair is lovely, I had to have a look at the tutorial. :)

10. Gillian December 2, 2012 at 2:11 pm #

Oh, Rochelle, you have the most beautiful photos! Every single post is just perfectly shot. Congrats to you and your boy – you are a great team! The skirt is perfect for you, the hair is adorable, and you make early winter look much more scenic than it really is here! ;)

• Rochelle New December 2, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

Aww thank you!! Yeah he’s getting a lot better at taking photos :) We are a good team.

11. crystalpleats December 2, 2012 at 1:11 pm #

Wow, you are braving the cold snow for us! It is such a beautiful set of pictures, and I must try that hairstyle. The skirt and your styling look great. I would never think to make a skirt from vinyl.

• Rochelle New December 2, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

Thank you! The hair style is super easy, so you should definitely give it a try. The fabric is actually a cotton/linen blend from Melody Miller’s collection called Ruby Star Vinyl. One of the prints from the collection has Vinyl records on it :)

12. Sarah December 2, 2012 at 1:11 pm #

How lovely! The snow falling around you just makes the photos even prettier! We had our first snowfall on Friday, but it’s all gone now :( Your skirt is so pretty and I LOVE your hair up like that!

• Rochelle New December 2, 2012 at 2:36 pm #

Thanks, Sarah! Yeah most of that snow is melted now too actually. It’s quite “warm” today at 45 degrees F lol (or like 8 degrees C? I think?)

13. sallieforrer December 2, 2012 at 11:28 am #

Oh my gosh it looks SO COLD!! The skirt is beautiful and so is your hair and the snow is super pretty! Oh winter… I forgot about you! Stay warm, and have fun at the WWII reenactment! How Fun!

• Rochelle New December 2, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

That was like a record fast photo shoot because it WAS pretty cold lol. I’m SO excited to do this reenactment. The 40s is one of my favorite eras :)

14. Tilly Walnes December 2, 2012 at 9:21 am #

LOVE the skirt. It suits you perfectly! x

15. ZoSews December 2, 2012 at 5:07 am #

Cute skirt, cute hair, and oh the snow – how pretty!

16. Julia Bobbin December 2, 2012 at 3:01 am #

You are as pretty as a picture and your hair looks fabulous. Love the skirt and as always, the photos look amazing :)

17. Spencer December 2, 2012 at 2:23 am #

So lovely! Such a great use of hazel. It is by far one of my favorite dress patterns! I am gonna have to try this out!

• Rochelle New December 2, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Yeah the Dirndl style skirt on the Hazel makes this a suuuuuper easy skirt to make. You don’t need a lot of yardage either. Nice quick and easy project :)

18. Angela December 1, 2012 at 11:37 pm #

Ha – I was going to ask you if it was really made out of vinyl, but I see that it’s a print with records on it. You really have a lovely way with prints, and I admire your style.

• Rochelle New December 2, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

Thank you! Yeah it’s a cotton/linen blend fabric from a collection called Ruby Star Vinyl. I should have specified that :)

19. ShanniLoves... December 1, 2012 at 10:41 pm #

Super cute! and I want snow!!

20. Lelie December 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm #

lovely skirt!

1. The Sew Bossy Initiative | Lucky Lucille - March 23, 2013

[...] not going to push her too far from her comfort zone, but I’m seeing a real lack of “Rochelle” type prints in Julia’s [...]