Guest Post: Erin’s Fav 40′s Music!

Hello! My name is Erin and I blog at Miss Crayola Creepy. I am so honored to be guest posting at Lucky Lucille while Rochelle is doing her WWII reenactment. While this write up isn’t about sewing, it is about something that is important to many sewists while they are at their machine: music! I do not claim to be an expert on 1940′s music, but I would like to introduce you to Tommy Dorsey (if you haven’t already heard of him), a musician and bandleader who was well known in the 1930′s, 1940′s, and beyond.

tommy-dorsey

(image source)

dorseyband1941

(image source)

While I have become more familiar with the music of Tommy Dorsey in recent years, I was introduced to his name at a young age. Growing up I remember my father meeting people and having them ask if he was related to Tommy Dorsey. It may sound like a random question, but considering he is named “Tom Dorsey” after the bandleader it is an appropriate one :) Five years ago my husband read a book on Frank Sinatra in which Tommy Dorsey was mentioned frequently, as he spent a lot of time recording with Frank. Frank claims to have learned breath control from watching Tommy play his trombone and the two of them, along with the Tommy Dorsey Band, became well known.

Tommy & Frank Sinatra

(image source)

Seeing as I LOVE Frank Sinatra’s music (who doesn’t?) my interest was piqued and I purchased the CD “Tommy Dorsey: The Seventeen Number Ones.” It immediately became one of my all time favorite albums and one that I constantly listen to while sewing. It’s so calming and the perfect music to relax with while enjoying my favorite hobby.

What about you, do you have any favorite music from the 1940s?

(Tommy Dorsey video on YouTube)

————————————————————-

Thank you, Erin! We’re two vintage music lovin’ peas in a pod, you and me. Great minds think alike so they say ;) If you’re not a reader of Erin’s blog, you should definitely remedy that asap! Not only is she talented and super sweet, but she has some pretty adorable furry kids who like to make guest appearances in her posts. Who doesn’t love sewing and furry friends? Stop by and say hello!

19 Responses to Guest Post: Erin’s Fav 40′s Music!

1. Miss Crayola Creepy January 28, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

Thank you for reminding me about Count Basie! I downloaded some of his music a while back and completely forgot about it even though I loved what I heard. Guess I know what I’ll be listening to next!

That’s so rad that you’re in a band! Any chance you’ll be playing near San Luis Obispo, California? Because I’ll totally come see you!

2. Sarahfae Bedelia January 25, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

Lovelovelove you, Erin!

Tommy Dorsey has been one of my Pandora Stations for ever — as well as The Boswell Sisters (they precede The Andrews Sisters), Cole Porter, Sarah Vaughan, and Earl Hines. If you haven’t already heard of Earl Hines you should definitely check him out – I’m pretty sure (If my memory suits me) he played more than a few times with Tommy’s band. He’s one of my favorite jazz pianists.
    One of these days we’ll have a music listening party together/in person.

• Miss Crayola Creepy January 28, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

You have the best taste in music. Next time I need some recommendations I’m coming to you! XOXO

3. Cathy Bundy January 25, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

Well, I can firmly say that this is for sure a proverbial blind-spot in my musical knowledge!

Thanks for this! Most interesting

bundana x

4. evilincarKnit January 25, 2013 at 12:06 am #

Great post, Erin! And if you find you like the Andrews sisters, you may want to give the Puppini sisters a try. They’re modern gals enthralled with older times, like the rest of us, and do a decent job covering great old tunes.

• davmac71 January 25, 2013 at 1:30 am #

I love the Puppini Sisters! Except my favourite one (the soprano, with the red hair) has left the group and in my opinion it’s just not as good without her.

• Miss Crayola Creepy January 28, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

Thanks for the recommendation, Romy! I’lll check them out!

5. HouseOFpinheiro January 24, 2013 at 5:03 pm #

Thanks for sharing…

6. Mary Nease January 24, 2013 at 2:53 pm #

I had the immense pleasure of getting to swing dance to the Glenn Miller Orchestra (they’re still around!) last year. It was *fabulous*. I’m also quite fond of Benny Goodman and the Andrews Sisters.

• Miss Crayola Creepy January 28, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

Everyone kept mentioning the Andrews Sisters, so I got one of their albums. I’l let you know how it is! :)

7. Miss Crayola Creepy January 24, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to post on your blog! I hope you’re having a blast with your new friends :) XOXO

8. the Garment Farmer January 24, 2013 at 11:43 am #

The last three years, I’ve really come to LOVE 40′s music. Jessi got me into Glenn Miller several years back, and now I have satellite radio with a 40′s specific station! LOVE it :) Artie Shaw is a favorite, as well as Doris Day, Helen Forrest, Mr. Dorsey, and Sinatra of course.

• Miss Crayola Creepy January 24, 2013 at 12:28 pm #

I love riding in your car because you have that station! :)

9. Tasha @ By gum, by golly! January 24, 2013 at 9:06 am #

I’ve definitely heard of him but now I’m going to have to go look for more! That video is awesome! I am a music geek and love old music (and lots of different kinds of traditional music) and most of what I listen to is either old or like it’s old. lol

• Miss Crayola Creepy January 24, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

I’m the same way!

10. Jessica Cangiano January 24, 2013 at 8:58 am #

What a delightful guest post! I’ve been a huge (!) fan of 1940s music since I was knee high to a trumpet, and definitely count Tommy amongst one of my favourites as well. Others that really top my list include Sinatra, The Andrew Sisters, Bing Crosby, Duke Elington, Glenn Miller, Billie Holiday, and Lena Horne.

• Miss Crayola Creepy January 24, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

Oooh, thanks for the recommendations! I’m going to check out the Andrew Sisters :)

1. Featured on Tilly and the Buttons! | Lucky Lucille - January 28, 2013

[...] big thanks to Erin, and Tasha, for sharing their guest posts while I was away! You ladies are the [...]

Leave A Reply Below - Your Comments Make My Day!