New Vintage Coat

coat4

Check out my fancy new vintage coat! I found this lovely piece of outerwear at a local 2nd hand shop in Burlington for 22 dollars. Twenty two dollars?! I can afford that! …but then I was informed it was on sale half price. …and then my BFF informed me she had a store credit and therefore my coat was FREE!! What a lucky girl I am! This coat is in such good shape that I had no clue it was vintage until I did a little research on the clothing labels.

coat5

The coat is so heavy and warm, and beautifully made, and just absolutely timeless! Definitely a wardrobe staple. It’s 100% wool (camel hair?) with real leather wrapped buttons. Not the wooden ones that are made to look like wrapped leather! This is the first time I’ve ever seen leather buttons like these in real life. Suddenly the fake wood ones I always buy seem so sub par haha!

coat2

coat3

The first thing that got me thinking this coat might be older than I originally thought, was when I read “The Talbots” on the label. Talbots is still a popular clothing store today, but since when were they called “The Talbots”?? That got me wondering. The label resources on Vintage Fashion Guild are amazingly helpful! Their information for The Talbots was really informative, but didn’t help me narrow down a date quite like I hoped. Next I checked out the Stevens Forstmann label. Apparently Forstmann Fabrics was established in the early 1900′s, but was bought out by Stevens in 1957, so that put my coat at newer than late 50′s. The Mackintosh label didn’t really help me zero in the date any further, so at this point (based on what I had read) I knew it was made between ’57 and ’99. It wasn’t until Jamie suggested on instragram I check for a worker’s union label that I had a BINGO! moment. Apparently the ILGWU changed their label colors to red, white, and blue in 1974, which matches the label found in my coat. Based on alllll this information, and looking at similar coats for sale on ebay and etsy, I think it’s safe to say this is a mid 70′s coat. Not exactly my favorite era of vintage, but this style was also very popular in the late 30′s according to my reenactment troop, so that means I get to wear it for my 40′s impression! YAY!

coat

Having such a timeless piece of clothing, such as this, made me realize how much I want more of that in my wardrobe. People get so concerned with trending seasonal fashion which is half the reason why clothes feel so much more disposable these days. Heaven forbid you’re wearing a dress or carrying a hand bag from last year!!! In my humble opinion… that is a bunch of crap. Those sorts of things shouldn’t matter. Timeless classics are the way to go! (Please ignore my mud tipped shoes above lol)

lucille

(ask Lucille how much she cares about seasonal fashion. I promise she doesn’t, but she wouldn’t judge you if you did.)

coat1

And now for your viewing pleasure: MORE FUZZY COWS! I love Highland Cattle so much!

cowface1

Look at the face on this little guy in the middle! Ahhhhhh!

cowface

Gah that hair is too much! Just call him Justin Beefer ;) I just want to snog his little face and brush his wooly hair! (The cow of course. Not Justin Bieber. That’s gross.)

17 Responses to New Vintage Coat

1. Kathryn January 27, 2013 at 12:55 pm #

what a find! Your coat is gorgeous and looks so warm and cosy, as well as classic. I also found a ILGWU label on a dress I bought in LA and reading a bit about the history of the union really added to my love of the dress.

2. sallieforrer January 21, 2013 at 11:52 am #

Gorgeous gorgeous coat! I agree that timeless pieces are so important to a wardrobe! They will always look great and if they’re made as beautifully as this piece all they take is a little yearly love and you can have them forever!

3. Ginger January 19, 2013 at 4:45 pm #

This coat looks great on you! Timeless pieces get so much more wear, and they’re the kind of thing you can pass on or give a new life to, unlike really trendy (and/or cheaply-made) items.

4. Alexis Wilcott January 19, 2013 at 11:25 am #

I love the coat! Lucille is too sweet, I just want to hug her :)

5. Jessica Cangiano January 19, 2013 at 10:03 am #

You simply cannot top free, especially when talking about a garment as timelessly elegant and beautiful as this cozy cold weather topper. What a marvelous find! This is, I highly suspect, a piece that you will get a huge amount of wardrobe millage out of.

Wishing you a splendid weekend,

6. Ranty Gobshite January 19, 2013 at 6:32 am #

Nice! Funnily enough, a friend of mine found an unworn 1980s wool duffel coat in her attic and says I can have it if it fits…a little worried because a 1980s UK size 16 is more like a 12 today :D (Or US 8/10)

And it’s GREEN. Green rocks.

7. Sarah Rooftops January 18, 2013 at 12:00 pm #

Great find! And ohhhh, I love Highland cows!

8. Johanna January 18, 2013 at 10:15 am #

Wow, what a good find! You’ve inspired me to give my local charity shops a second chance, hmmm, maybe tomorrow.. *scheming* :)

9. Sarah January 17, 2013 at 6:47 pm #

Fabulous coat!!!

10. MarrieB January 17, 2013 at 4:58 pm #

Great find on the coat! But what really has my attention are those fuzzy cows! The guy in the middle is so cute. (Is that odd, to think cows are cute??)

11. the Garment Farmer January 17, 2013 at 3:18 pm #

yay more cow photos! :)

12. Meredith January 17, 2013 at 2:28 pm #

Highlands are soooooo cute! I love them! I hope we can get some someday. That coat is amazing, definitely a great find!

13. Regan Elizabeth January 17, 2013 at 1:53 pm #

Those cows remind me of Ludo in Labyrinth haha

14. Cow Road January 17, 2013 at 1:43 pm #

Justin Beefer??? Too funny Rochelle! ;-)
    Love those cows by the way, but your coat is just tres fab! Great find! :-)

15. Tasha @ By gum, by golly! January 17, 2013 at 1:08 pm #

Oh my gosh that cowww, he’s so cute munching!

I LOVE that first photo of you from behind walking away from the camera, so classic! That’s a fabulous coat, it definitely works for a 40s look! What a versatile color too. And free?!!! It was meant to be!

I don’t need a new wardrobe 4 times a year! I think one of the best things about sewing is you get to control what you create and what role you play in your own fashion (well I’m still just starting to sew more enough to feel I may get to this point). That’s also one of the best things about being into vintage… the styles I like already happened. I know what fashion looked like in 1939 or 1945 or 1952. That isn’t changing. lol I have the freedom to pick and choose what I like and put it all together in a way that works for me and I don’t have to “keep up” with some fashion industry telling me to buy the latest and greatest thing that won’t outlast a season. :)

16. Miss Crayola Creepy January 17, 2013 at 12:20 pm #

You really scored on that coat, what a treasure!!! I wish I had your luck when I am out thrifting. I rarely find anything, but that’s mostly due to me getting stressed out over the chaos in the stores.

1. planning outfits for a wwii reenactment | Lucky Lucille™ - January 8, 2014

[…] have two coats: this red wool one and this camel hair coat. Both are 80s/70s “vintage” and both were found at thrift stores. I might try to […]