40′s Farm Girl Overalls

overalls3

I didn’t get many photos of my farm girl impression while at my reenactment, mostly because it was freeeezing and I hardly ever took off my barn coat and layers of sweaters! There isn’t anything too fancy about my outfit. I pulled inspiration from photos like this one and did the best I could to recreate it. I ended up making the overalls the day before I left for the event. In fact, I finished sewing on the buttons just minutes before I had to leave for the airport. Nothing like last minute sewing! The bottom half of the pattern is actually this 40′s repro one, and the bibs I drafted myself! They’re far from perfect, but with my time constraints and lack of direction, I’m really pleased with how they turned out!

overalls2

overalls4

overalls6

overalls1

I left out the side zipper of the pants and added these little button tabs on both sides instead. They were definitely a “wing it and hope for the best” sort of addition but they totally worked!! I love when that happens!! (…that doesn’t happen often lol)

overalls5

Both my flannel and my sweater are actually menswear items from Old Navy! Shhhhhhh, don’t tell! lol Actually for my purposes they worked just fine, and nobody gave me any grief for it. In fact, you’d be surprised how many “modern” articles of clothing work just fine for certain reenactor garb. Plus, if I had an actual sweater from the 40′s, I probably wouldn’t want to wear it and risk ruining it. I know a lot of reenactors also feel that way about their originals. Keep the vintage preserved and wear reproductions when appropriate! I still have a lot to learn about WWII reenacting, but so far I’m totally hooked and I can’t wait to do more researched on the Women’s Land Army of America and Britain, and also WOWs! I’m counting down the days until my next event!

Hope you had an awesome weekend!

26 Responses to 40′s Farm Girl Overalls

1. Sky Turtle February 17, 2013 at 4:42 pm #

I always wanted to make overalls. I’ve been thinking to make some short denim ones last summer but then I was afraid I was never going to wear them out of the house. I love the loose fit, inspiring.

2. Julia Bobbin February 5, 2013 at 5:25 pm #

Golly you look amazeballs! The outfit, the hair, the makeup … perfect! I LOVE your overalls and the reenactments look like so much fun!

3. Ginger February 4, 2013 at 8:32 pm #

Wow! You look so cute!!!!! Love this look on you!

4. Miss Crayola Creepy February 4, 2013 at 2:22 pm #

You are the cutest farm girl ever! And I disagree, your overalls are perfect!!!

• Rochelle New February 4, 2013 at 9:08 pm #

Well you must not be looking at them very closely ;) ;) lol But thanks, Darlin!

5. Rachel Marie February 4, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

Adorable! And I just love how you styled it with a solid sweater and a touch of plaid in the collar.

6. Maddie Flanigan February 4, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

overalls? Eeek. You know my fascination with overalls. It’s the same with polka dots. I love!

• Rochelle New February 4, 2013 at 9:08 pm #

Yeah I’m loving the overalls! I feel like I could rock this look alllll the time!

7. nova February 4, 2013 at 10:22 am #

I still don’t really get it. Like, what did you do when you got there? Farmwork? Was there an audience?

• Rochelle New February 4, 2013 at 10:30 am #

Haha not exactly. Like most reenactments, there was a battle played out for an audience on Saturday, which was the only day open to the public. This particular reenactment was different than most because it’s almost a week long and it’s “for” reenactors. So basically you just pick a WWII era person to emulate and you just walk around and meet other people who are into that same impression! Or you can learn about new ones. There were also classes for the reenactors to take about WWII stuff and a big flea market where you could buy vintage and reproduction items. Sooooo basically my job as a WWII civilian was to hang out and look cool on Saturday for the public so they feel more “in the times”. It’s totally ridiculous and also super awesome at the same time. At a different kind of event I may have had more of a themed job to do, but not as many reenactors are into the Land Army!

• Rochelle New February 4, 2013 at 10:35 am #

If I picked a military impression I would have had drills and skirmishes and that kind of stuff for the public. But this was my first reenactment so I wanted to pick something a little easier to fit into.

• nova February 4, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

That’s cool. I hope my comment didn’t sound judgemental, I honestly didn’t get it! It sounds like a lot of fun. And it’s cool that so many like-minded people can get together like that.

• Rochelle New February 4, 2013 at 2:48 pm #

No, no I totally understand! It’s definitely a strange idea if you’re not familiar with it. There are some living history museums where they pay actors to portray a person in a certain time period for the public. That’s something I’d like to get into, but not what I do right now. I’m just available as “background ambiance” so to speak hahaha!

8. Sarah February 4, 2013 at 10:11 am #

These are awesome!!!

9. sallieforrer February 4, 2013 at 9:58 am #

Love this! You look fantastic, and perfect for the part. I feel like the fit of those overalls is spot on for a 40′s work uniform! Love it tucked into the boots! You really do look like you could jump back in time and join the Women’s Land Army!

• Rochelle New February 4, 2013 at 10:15 am #

Aww thanks, Sallie! That’s exactly what I was going for :) :)

10. Jessica Cangiano February 4, 2013 at 5:17 am #

You look fantastic and so, so period perfect. I completely agree about turning to modern/repro pieces in setting where true vintage might stand a greater chance of being damaged. I did just that last year (sporting a pair of Freddies denim overalls and a modern fuchsia hued flannel top) for a day spent at a petting zoo.

• Rochelle New February 4, 2013 at 9:21 am #

Thank you :) That sounds like the best day ever! I love the petting zoo :)

11. Tasha @ By gum, by golly! February 3, 2013 at 9:22 pm #

LOVE!! Those are great, and seem just perfect for your portrayal. I love overalls for style too, but you can really see how those look like true farm/land girl functional overalls, not more for sportswear/lounging. Hmm… I’m not sure that came out like a compliment but it totally is. lol You look fantastic!!

• Rochelle New February 3, 2013 at 9:32 pm #

Thank you! No, I totally get what you’re saying and I have to agree! They’re actually pretty comfy though and I’ve caught myself, a few times now, wearing them around the house longer than I probably should ;)

1. preparing for pants | Lucky Lucille™ - January 29, 2014

[…] me hold off on it for now. I’ve sewn the Simplicity 3688 trousers a few times before (here, here, and here) and they have great potential, but the work involved to transform them into the pants […]

2. planning outfits for a wwii reenactment | Lucky Lucille™ - January 8, 2014

[…] my impression, but now I need to do some last minute sewing to fill in the gaps. Last year I wore my farm girl impression, but this year I wanted to wear something a little more “everyday WWII […]

3. Geneseo Air Show | Lucky Lucille™ - July 15, 2013

[...] appropriately wore my 40′s home front overalls, which I decided to cut into shorts (because, again, pants in 90 degree heat equals insanity), [...]