Adventures In Home Dec Sewing

Lately I’ve been having some trouble sleeping, and I’m sure a lot of that has to do with Lucille hogging the bed more so than usual (lol), but I’m sure another big part of it is I just haven’t felt happy with the bedroom since we moved. The sheets were old and mismatched, I don’t like our curtains, there’s a lack of furniture, etc. …it just never really felt like a place I wanted to hang out or relax in. So yesterday I woke up on a mission to change that.

featuredI had originally planned to make curtains for my sewing space with this fabric, but the longer it sat in my stash the longer I wanted to actually wear it (it would make the cutest dress!). So then I was thinking, if I make a Duvet cover I can make something for my home and it will end up touching my skin… That’s close enough to wearing it, right? Sure!

Now, I’ve never made a Duvet cover before, so it was mildly stupid of me to attempt this project without direction or a pattern, but I figured it’s essentially just a big rectangle so how hard could it really be…

homemade duvet

I used a flat sheet as the template and the backside of this Duvet, which just left the top part up to me to work out. I had intended to make the whole top out of the bird print but didn’t have enough to make it work on its own. I had to get a little inventive by adding the two white panels in between but I actually love the way it turned out!

I had to do a bit of math to figure out how to cut the pieces, but it wasn’t too difficult. I should mention that math and I are not friends unless crafting is involved. My brain processes pictures, not numbers. So I wrote myself a little visual map and then did a bit of division to make my drawing become a reality. Rather than walk you through the hot mess that is “my brain on math”, I’ll just give you the measurements in case you want to try and make one of these yourself.

Full/Queen size sheet = 96″ tall by 81″ wide
Print fabric (cut 6) = 25″ tall by 41.5″ wide
Solid fabric (cut 4) = 13″ tall by 41.5″ wide
(about 4 yards of print fabric and 2 yards of solid)

Use a half inch seam allowance.

Sew 2 print pieces together at the center to make a 25″ by 82″ wide strip (you will end up with 3 of these strips)
sew 2 solid pieces together at the center to make a 13″ by 82″ wide strip (you will end up with 2 of these strips)

Sew all the strips together and Voila! You have a Duvet top! Now you just have to sew the duvet top to the sheet and install a zipper at the bottom seam.

(That math was right, right?)

Ideally, the longer the zipper the easier it will be to insert your blanket into the Duvet. A 22″ zipper was the longest size I had in my stash so I just went with that and it works fine.

After I made the Duvet I had to whip up a little throw pillow cover to match!

I think I worked about 4-6 hours on these projects all together. It would have gone so much more quickly if I didn’t have to waste a bunch of time figuring out just how I was going to pull this off. Really you’re just sewing a bunch of straight seams so it’s not difficult, it’s just awkward! Hats off to quilters for working with such mass amounts of fabric like this all the time! I felt like I was drowning at my sewing machine!! Haha!

It’s funny because Lucille would NOT sit on the new Duvet cover until I practically picked her up and put her on it. I don’t know if it’s because it smells brand new (I’m bad and didn’t pre-wash anything) or if it’s because I was trying to line things up and work things out on the bed earlier in the day so she knew she couldn’t get on it. As you can see, what ever the issue was, she got over it ;)

The bird fabric is from Jo-Ann’s, and the typewriter fabric is from Melody Miller’s Ruby Star Shining collection. Don’t be upset, but both of these prints are from older collections and are now quite hard to find. Sorry for the tease!

Well, I have to say, the bedroom now finally feels like a room of my own and one that I’d like to be in. Mission accomplished!
Have you ever made anything for your home to make it feel more you?

39 Responses to Adventures In Home Dec Sewing

1. Teje August 2, 2013 at 6:09 am #

Hi! I’m happy I found you, Lucille and your beautiful blog! Your new duvet cover is adorable! I’m quiter and I like so much the way how you used other fabric with that lovely flower print!
    I write sewing, quilting, knitting etc. blog with my 2 dogs.
    Sunny wishes from Greece!

2. Beth S. March 8, 2013 at 8:23 pm #

i know this is a sewing blog, and I love your site. However, I can honestly,Lucillle draws me back. She looks so much like our late Sara Brown Britches (same coloring and ‘heart ‘ patch on the side). She brings me here and you give me inspiration to sew vintage. Together you are a winning team and a winning blog site. Thank you.

• Rochelle New March 8, 2013 at 9:14 pm #

Thank you, Beth. That’s so sweet of you to say! Lucille loves her fans :)

3. Ginger March 6, 2013 at 1:10 pm #

Really cute! I love the colors you chose! I’ve just been thinking over a bedroom redo– mine was totally the afterthought in our apartment and doesn’t feel like “me” at all. :(

• Rochelle New March 8, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

Yeah I know how that goes! Luckily, some small changes can make all the difference :)

4. Amy Plaza March 5, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

I just have to say, I am totally in love with your dog!

-Amy (www.thatssewamy.com)

5. Rachael Telford February 28, 2013 at 9:55 pm #

I love it. I have the bird fabric stashed away for a duvet cover of turquoise, oranges, and browns later this year. Yours looks really awesome!

• Rochelle New March 8, 2013 at 9:16 pm #

Thanks! I’d love to see how your duvet turns out :)

6. Carlee McTavish February 28, 2013 at 9:27 pm #

This is fab! I feel like my bedroom is all mismatched too. This would be the perfect way to bring everything together! I haven’t made anything for our home yet, but methinks I will have to get on that…

• Rochelle New March 8, 2013 at 9:17 pm #

Well good luck! Home dec sewing feels so rewarding I think.

7. Jo February 28, 2013 at 7:36 pm #

Oh I love that print, it’s amazing! Well done.. for some reason the idea of making a duvet seems impossible to me!

• Rochelle New March 8, 2013 at 9:17 pm #

Thank you! It truly wasn’t that hard. You could do it :)

• Jo March 9, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

Yeah, you’re right, I’m sure I could.. Things always seem so much harder before you try them. I need to work on my self confidence. Ooh and also I’m following you on twitter now!

8. Sarah February 28, 2013 at 9:42 am #

What a beautiful set! The aqua and red bird print is utterly you and I love it! I make our duvet covers too and have always just done basic math and gone from there. :)

9. Charlotte Boyer February 28, 2013 at 9:24 am #

Ah me! How absolutely fabulous :D The print, simplicity, colors, everything!!!
    I’ve been attempting to get my bedroom to look more like my style; instead of the rustic, faded, mix-matched look that it has… I screwed up and tried my hand at fixing it up a wee bit decor wise, yesterday, and it now just needs a few more touches to make it.

10. Tasha @ By gum, by golly! February 28, 2013 at 9:03 am #

They really came out so awesome!! I love the combination of the prints with the birds and the typewriter. It looks so inviting and homey now! And it makes me think that if we need a change from our one duvet cover or rotation of quilts I could make a cover, too. Eventually I’m going to have to face facts and do some curtains around the house but I am soooo not in a rush. lol

11. sallieforrer February 28, 2013 at 9:01 am #

Ahh! Brilliant! Such a (farily) quick and easy home dec project that makes a big impact. I like it!

12. Craft Sanctuary February 28, 2013 at 8:23 am #

I love my comforter, but it could use a pretty duvet like yours to keep it safe. My cats love my bed as much as it looks like Lucille likes yours. Yours came out so well-I’m seriously inspired!

13. Emma February 28, 2013 at 5:40 am #

That’s gorgeous! I’m inspired and full of new energy to something about my own cheap old mismatching bedroom linens (alas, we will need to buy a larger comforter first, and right now we’re in the middle of renovating the room, and also in the middle of creating a 300m² kitchen garden that just got a few kinks in the wheel because it seems there’s only an inch or two of actual soil before we hit bedrock).

We did just put up our own (old) homemade curtains in the kitchen/living room where the former owner’s thermal (orange, mustard and olive plaid with gold flowers) curtains had been allowed to stay while we lived there and finished putting floor boards in the bedroom. They’re made from handmade antique linen and handmade antique lace, both made by women in my family, and the whole room was suddenly transformed! Definitely more us. :)

14. Donna Hensley February 28, 2013 at 4:29 am #

I love the colors!

15. Jessica Cangiano February 28, 2013 at 2:03 am #

I am flat out in love with this gorgeous, cheerful, adorable new duvet and pillow. If I saw them in a store, even though they wouldn’t match the colours of our bedroom, I’d be so tempted to buy them and tuck them away for a future bedroom or if we decided to change the colour (which I love, don’t get me wrong) of our room some point.

Fabulous work, dear Rochelle !

16. Meredith Schreiber February 28, 2013 at 12:05 am #

That’s beautiful! I would have never guessed that you used the white because you didn’t have enough fabric. It totally looks like you’re just artsy like that! I think this is a sewing project I can actually handle. I’m going to try it as soon as I get tired of my quilt!

17. Kelly February 27, 2013 at 10:37 pm #

aw, sweet dog :) The duvet looks great too, so homey. I hope it helps you sleep better!

18. christine haynes February 27, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

adorable! both the duvet and the dog :)

19. Rachel Proffitt February 27, 2013 at 8:13 pm #

Lucille looks comfy though! I love the fabric. I have been known to use such fabric for a dress before… because… well… I loved it LOL
    Your duvet cover looks gorgeous though!

20. Rebecca Wagner February 27, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

Looks great, OMG Lucille is adorable :) My little dash would love her

21. the Garment Farmer February 27, 2013 at 7:29 pm #

i hemmed a blackout curtain for my bedroom window this past weekend. Not nearly as exciting as your bedding, but it does help me sleep better! I do hope to make a quilt or maybe a duvet one of these days, but I’m holding out till we get a bigger bed. A queen is not big enough for two people, a dog and a cat. I figure I’ll need new bedding at that point, and I’ll just wait till then. Your duvet is fabulous–the print and colors look perfect.

• Rochelle New February 27, 2013 at 7:42 pm #

I don’t even think a king sized bed would be big enough for two people and this hog dog of mine lol. She’s talented at taking up space, especially for being a smaller dog :)

22. Mary Nease February 27, 2013 at 7:20 pm #

I fell in love with Tula Pink’s Snow Globes quilt featuring her Nightshade fabric collection, so I’m currently in the process of making it myself. It’s my first quilt, but the blocks are turning out quite nicely and I can’t wait to have it as my bedspread. I’m not looking forward to the actual quilting, though, because as you discovered, dealing with so much fabric is a pain in the ass. I might send it to a long arm quilter for that part, actually. There’s one who lives down the road from me and I need to ask her what her pricing is.

• Rochelle New February 27, 2013 at 7:43 pm #

That’s probably the way I would do it too if I actually tried quilting. Pay someone else to do the hard part! :)

23. Gail February 27, 2013 at 6:16 pm #

So pretty! I really love the color combo!

24. Miss Crayola Creepy February 27, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

When you said “my brain on math” I read it as “my brain on meth” hahah.

The duvet cover looks adorable and you have inspired me to make my own. Those things are expensive and not even half as cute as yours!!!

• Rochelle New February 27, 2013 at 6:12 pm #

Hahah well that was kind of the reference I was suggesting lol! But yeah… mAth ;) You should really make one of these!

25. anitaboeira February 27, 2013 at 6:02 pm #

Oh, I love this! I recently made my bed a duvet cover too, but I made it kind of like a quilt, with triangles of different fabrics sewn together! It was a LOT of work to handle something this huge, but I love how it turned out. :)

• Rochelle New February 27, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

Thanks! I had plans to make a Duvet quilt like that, but this was sooooo much easier ;)

• anitaboeira February 27, 2013 at 6:23 pm #

I loved it, but I’m never doing it again!

1. Sew Red for Heart Health | Lucky Lucille - April 3, 2013

[...] The Asian Modern Pillow by Linda Lee is a simple project and so fun to sew! The Asian modern aesthetic isn’t exactly my style but the awesome thing about this project is it has the potential to be so many different styles AND it’s a great stash buster! Plus, it gave me the opportunity to branch out a little more into home dec sewing. [...]