Vintage Knitting Books

The other day I got some fabulously amazing mail from the equally fabulous Tasha of By Gum, By Golly! I’ve been dropping Tasha’s name on the blog quite a bit lately but what can I say. …she’s fabulous!

knit1

My jaw just about dropped when I opened up the mail and found this amazing array of vintage knitting books from various years! Oh man do I need to get better at knitting and QUICK! I immediately took a little peek through each one. The awesomeness at first glace was almost overwhelming.

knit2

“Small cowgirls love this pattern…” I wanna be a small cowgirl! Look at how cute that sweater is!

knit3

I’ll take some of Five O’clock Flattery, too!

knit4

knit5

knit6

Now-a-days I tend to think of sweaters and knit wear as these frumpy things for old men and librarians (don’t get me wrong, that’s half the reason why I love sweaters!), but there’s also an elegant classy side to sweaters that I often forget exists. Like this prime example shown above. Just adorable! Oh, and speaking of elegant knitwear, check out this incredible sweater dress…

knit8

Gah it’s so amazing!

If classy sweater dresses don’t do anything for you,  how ’bout some retro men’s knit wear?

knit9

Hahaha that outfit on the left is just too awesome!!! I’d seriously wear that. But if that still doesn’t impress you, how about this one…

knit10

Bahahah! Are you seeing this?? So much awesome going on here. …I can’t even.

Thank you, Tasha, for these amazing treasures! Not only have I been thoroughly entertained, but I now have some valuable resources and a really great start to a vintage knitting collection.

Aren’t vintage books the best?

15 Responses to Vintage Knitting Books

1. Wendy March 6, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

Oooh what a fabulous patterns lots of inspiration to keep you knitting there! Oh those mens patterns are hilarious! I do love the way the women can usually pull off a glamourous pose, but the men always look cheesy and bordering on the ridiculous, the man with the barbeque is killing me with his expression! Wonderful!

2. Kelly March 5, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

What a sweet gift! You’ve got a great start to a collection. I have a treasured magazine that belonged to my grandma, and I want to make everything in it! One “college style” sweater features little puffed sleeves and a row of colorwork cowboys across the chest. For a grown-up cowgirl at heart!

3. Jessica Cangiano March 5, 2013 at 11:52 am #

These are just marvelous! Tasha is such a sweetheart! I’ve loved her, her stellar vintage style, and her blog for ages – plus, she introduced me to your site a couple of months ago, which is another huge brownie point for her in my books! :)

4. the Garment Farmer March 5, 2013 at 11:25 am #

cute! I’m a small cowgirl at heart–I need that sweater ;)

5. ZoSews March 5, 2013 at 5:15 am #

LOL, those men’s pics are GOLD!

6. Jo March 5, 2013 at 4:06 am #

Hee hee hee, a treasure trove indeed!

7. Jenny March 5, 2013 at 1:34 am #

Gold! That BBQ photo is good enough to be framed and hung on the wall :p

8. Kate-Em March 4, 2013 at 6:05 pm #

What a lovely parcel of knitting goodness to receive! It must have been so exciting. I have just finished a pair of 1940s cabled mittens and love them. Adore the poodle in the top hat!

9. Stephanie March 4, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

omg the children’s sweaters are so cute! If you wanted you could totally take a simple adult size pattern in a similar weight yarn and add the charted images in to make one to fit you. Of course you might have to do some math to get it to work but it wouldn’t be too hard.

10. MarrieB March 4, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

These are fantastic! I especially love the small cowgirls sweater, it reminds me of my home state, Wyoming!

11. Tasha @ By gum, by golly! March 4, 2013 at 1:06 pm #

Oh yay!! I really am so happy to hear you love them. Isn’t that catalog of kids sweaters the best?! Of course I want big girl versions of some of them… okay maybe not the clowns. But I’m tempted by the elves I admit. ;) And I LOVED the barbecue guys!

Enjoy! I’m happy to be able to share the love of vintage knitting with you. :) xo

12. Michelle March 4, 2013 at 11:56 am #

WOW! It looks like you got a gift from the vintage fairy! :-D There are some really amazing, and very elegant, knit dresses and suits from the late 30s-50s. It’s incredible that women used to spend so much time and care creating them. Having knit dozens of sweaters myself, I can only imagine the hours spent to complete a single outfit. I hope these help to jump start your knitting engine!

13. sallieforrer March 4, 2013 at 10:33 am #

Oh my god!! That last photo!! He looks so surprised to find hotdogs inside his bun…These are amazing, what a lovely lovely gift.

14. agirlinwinter March 4, 2013 at 8:52 am #

What a fantastic gift :-) I’m knitting a sweater from a 1940s pattern at the moment and I’m really enjoying it. I’ve got plans for more vintage knits. Oh and I’m a librarian ;-)

15. Carlee McTavish March 4, 2013 at 6:42 am #

I just had some Hit Parader magazines from the fifties gifted to me and the ads are the best! They are hilarious! I love the looks on the mens’ faces. Priceless.