Sewing is more than a big deal. It’s EVERYTHING.

mydaily1

Recently I’ve been blessed (lucky, really) to be featured along with 5 other incredible ladies in the MyDaily article “Seven Reasons Why Sewing Is A Big Deal“. Now, any fellow seamstress already knows why sewing is a big deal. It’s our hobby, our creative outlet, our reason to blog, sometimes our day job, …it’s our whole lives! I was asked to share just three sentences (about my blog and passion for sewing) to accompany the photos I included for the interview, and as you can see from the other responses, it was pretty much impossible to sum it up in less than a paragraph! Trendy or not, I am SO passionate about sewing and I love that it’s on the rise. Sewing IS a big deal and here’s why…

Sewing isn’t just a hobby for me. It’s a way to honor and connect with my mom and grandma, a way to recreate my favorite bygone era, a way to empower myself, to support small business, it’s a means of income, and most importantly it’s been a way for me to meet new people and make new friends. Oona hit the nail on the head when she said sewers have the best, most supportive corner of the internet. We do! Whenever I catch a hint of some lifestyle blogger vs blogger drama on Twitter I just smile knowing that doesn’t really exist in our little crafty web on the web. Sewing, Knitting, Crafting, Making is just such a nurturing thing on its own that it draws nurturing, community driven people to it.

Being a sewing blogger is different. We are not in competition with each other, well maybe some friendly sewing challenge competition every once in a while, but as far as trying to beat out other bloggers strictly for popularity… I feel like that doesn’t happen. If you are new to sewing/blogging and are intimidated by “bigger” sewing blogs, then you’re being silly! I love commenting on “big” sewing blogs because I know my comments are read and are appreciated, and when time allows, even responded to!

The bigger message here is this: YOU are a big deal! You are appreciated! Your creativity IS inspiring, your projects ARE blog worthy, people CARE what you have to say, you are important to the sewing community! Any skill level, any “coolness” factor, any level of “good enough” …YOU MATTER!

On behalf of everyone in the sewing community, I want to wish you a warm welcome. You have found your place.

You belong here.

, , , , , ,

88 Responses to Sewing is more than a big deal. It’s EVERYTHING.

1. Jennifer @ Workroom Social May 8, 2013 at 9:52 am #

Loved reading this as a new sewing blogger. I love the online sewing community!

2. Julia Bobbin May 3, 2013 at 9:56 pm #

Rochelle New YOU are a big deal :) So glad you’re in this sewing world.

3. Aleksandra May 3, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

This is just the sweetest post. I think one of my favorite things about the sewing blogger community is how inspiring it is — and how people share and let you steal their ideas. I’ve seen so many people use the same fabric for the same pattern and I’ve never seen a snarky comment about it! For instance, I totally bought your pink Peggy dress pattern last night — hope you don’t mind! ;-) Sharing good ideas and reviews in such a wholesome way just makes me so happy. <3

• Rochelle New May 5, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

Of course I don’t mind! I can’t wait to see your version of the dress. I’m hoping to get mine sewn up sometime soon! We’ll see though, life has been getting in the way of sewing lately. For good reason :) It happens.

• Aleksandra May 6, 2013 at 4:39 pm #

It’s my first vintage pattern, so it’ll be a while for me, too. But I couldn’t resist the buttons — my new favorite detail now I have a one-step buttonhole! :)

4. Erin May 3, 2013 at 1:19 pm #

Love it!

5. thepolishedbutton May 3, 2013 at 9:42 am #

I’ve nominated you and your fabulous blog for an award! You can see the post and details here! http://thepolishedbutton.wordpress.com/2013/05/03/and-the-award-goes-to/
    :-)

• Rochelle New May 5, 2013 at 5:22 pm #

Wow, thank you! I will definitely check out the post. How sweet of you :)

6. Rachel Proffitt April 26, 2013 at 6:27 pm #

Rochelle, I have to admit, the sewing community is a fabulous one :) It has always made me smile, often made me laugh out loud, and is full of interesting people- from ALL walks of life! So this is just to say, “how right you are!”

7. Mrs. Moe April 26, 2013 at 5:42 pm #

I came by this post via my friend Tasha at By Gum, By Golly and I really enjoyed reading this. You are right, the sewing blog community does seem to be a very supportive and friendly place and that’s such a wonderful thing. Your blog looks lovely and I am looking forward to following you now!

• Rochelle New April 27, 2013 at 7:14 pm #

The sewing community brought Tasha and I together which is another reason why it’s the best :) Thanks for stopping by to say hello!

8. Craft Sanctuary April 26, 2013 at 10:39 am #

I love our little corner of the blogosphere, and I’m so happy that you and all of the other fabulous bloggers mentioned are in it! Thanks for all of your tips, tricks, challenges, and eye-candy! Congrats on the feature, you deserve it :)

9. Ginger April 25, 2013 at 10:34 pm #

I love the sewing blogging community so much! It really is a happy little corner of the internet (seriously I don’t even TRY to read comments on other websites because they’re often so ugly and mean!)! Sewing means so much to me, and I owe it to this community– I never would’ve stuck with it if it hadn’t been for the support, encouragement, and crazy amounts of free, helpful advice! Congrats on the feature, and on finding such a rewarding hobby!

• Rochelle New April 26, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

Same here! People on lifestyle blogs can be SO RUDE especially about things they shouldn’t be allowed to have opinions on. Like their wedding photos or ho they raise their kids and whatnot. Not cool! Sewing bloggers are the absolute best :)

10. Jennifer April 25, 2013 at 1:06 pm #

Lovely post! Congrats on the well-deserved feature!

11. Hannah Rae Cohen April 25, 2013 at 12:54 pm #

Well said Rochelle! I 100% agree with you. The nicest people I have encountered on the Internet are the crafty one (seamstresses, knitters, crafters etc.) It’s so nice to be able to connect with people and share the creativity! And I really got into the sewing community because of your sew a long! :) it’s thanks to people like you that help connect us all, that this community is so great!

• Rochelle New April 26, 2013 at 3:38 pm #

I’m so happy you’re getting more involved with the sewing community! It’s truly wonderful to meet people with the same passions and inspirations :)

12. tania@sewitanyway.wordpress April 25, 2013 at 11:33 am #

I agree with everything you said, and you said it so well!

I also think that sewing/knitting/making and the supportive community we’re all involved in here celebrates and concentrates a creative feminine energy that we, and the wider world, really needs. x

• Rochelle New April 26, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

Thank you :) I agree that the world needs more positive crafters who are in touch with their feminine side. The world would be a more beautiful place!

13. Monica Swift April 25, 2013 at 8:19 am #

First congrats, it is wonderful to be included as a showcase to your passion. And… Awww! I love this. Especially how you ended it. I asked for a sewing machine for mother’s day last year, and have been sewing steadily ever since. I love it in a way that is so hard to explain, but obviously not in this particular corner of the internet. And once I threw a little blogging in the mix…that much more! I stay at home with the kids, but have struggled a bit with that identity, and finding this ‘hobby’ (passion, creative outlet, what have you) has changed the daily flow of my life in such a great way. I have yet to try sewing for myself, and spend a lot of my time perusing blogs featuring sewing for children, but always find myself back here catching up. I love your voice, your tone, and your heart over here!

• Rochelle New April 26, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

Thank you, Monica :) I’m so happy that sewing bloggers “get it” and just have that instant connection. It’s the best feeling!

14. Deborah Rodgers April 25, 2013 at 8:17 am #

Thank you for such a lovely message, you’ve made my afternoon :-)

15. wanda laboy April 25, 2013 at 7:12 am #

Thanks Rochelle, first I don’t speak english, i am puertorrican lady. I have trouble with my figure, you inspired me to beginning to make my wardrobe. Then I need your help.You are a very important person in blogger community.

Thanks
    Wanda

• Rochelle New April 26, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

Thank you Wanda. Your comment makes me so happy :)

16. Shelly April 25, 2013 at 7:03 am #

Couldn’t have said it better myself! What a wonderful community we find ourselves in :)

17. Bridget Mahoney April 25, 2013 at 6:58 am #

Incredibly well stated. Sewists are a genuinely lovely group!

• Rochelle New April 26, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

The best group! But I suppose I would be a bit biased ;)

18. Jessica Cangiano April 25, 2013 at 6:52 am #

You write with such clear, wonderful passion for your craft, dear Rochelle – it’s a joy to read why sewing holds such a dear, perpetually important place in your heart and life.

19. Veronica Lewis April 25, 2013 at 6:50 am #

Congratulations Rochelle not only on the Feature but in rallying everyone together, making everyone feel a part of this sewing community no matter what level. That is one thing I live about sewing, we all work and share ideas together…no aggressive competitions…..Such wonderful you have spoken. THAN YOU.

20. ΕΙΡΗΝΗ ΠΑΥΛΙΔΟΥ April 25, 2013 at 6:45 am #

I am a sewer but not a blogger, and I agree with everything you said. When I first started to sew, about one year ago, I was fascinated to discover this community- it supported and motivated me, let alone all the new things I learned and the opportunities it gave me to communicate with other sewists. You wrote about all this beautifully! Thank you!

• Rochelle New April 27, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

I agree it’s the best way to stay motivated and connected. It’s wonderful :)

21. Julia Bobbin April 25, 2013 at 3:40 am #

Beautifully said. And congratulations on the feature!!

22. Kat Sultanie April 25, 2013 at 3:06 am #

Beautiful post!

23. Trollemor April 25, 2013 at 2:45 am #

This post hit me right in my sewers heart! It is true, I really feel like I belong “somewhere” when I blogg about sewing. I startet both sewing AND blogging two years ago, whit hardly no experience with non of the subjects… But I have come far since then, (not even close to ya`ll experts!) but it is a true inspiration to read the “big” sewist blogs:)
    Thank you for that!

• Rochelle New April 27, 2013 at 7:18 pm #

I definitely feel like this is my place. There’s no greater feeling than being part of a community that makes others feel at home too :)

24. Heather April 25, 2013 at 12:35 am #

I love how supportive the online community is! I started to sew this January and it’s been so comforting and reassuring and HELPFUL to read all the advice online. I used to be terrified of going into fabric/sewing stores and now I can’t wait to poke around them because I’ve been given great advice by people like you! Thank you everyone who blogs! It’s much appreciated.

• Rochelle New April 27, 2013 at 7:19 pm #

Stick with sewing and blogging! It only gets easier the more passionate you get :)

25. Heather Lou April 24, 2013 at 11:12 pm #

Wonderfully said lady!

26. Sarah April 24, 2013 at 8:04 pm #

Amen!!!

27. Alexandra Cuckoo April 24, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

Thank you for this Rochelle! I really needed reminding why I love sewing and how enjoyable and inspiring an outlet it is for me!

Sometimes when you’re a little down, you just need a little encouragement, and this totally helped!

Thanks lady!

• Rochelle New April 27, 2013 at 7:20 pm #

I’m so happy this post inspired you. I was hoping it would reach someone in this way and I’m thrilled to hear it has! Stick with it :)

28. Carlee April 24, 2013 at 6:16 pm #

Awww shucks, Rochelle! Lovely post!

29. Megan Likes Books April 24, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

I really love your positive view of blogging! It;s so nice to be in a community of people who support each other.

Congratulations on being featured!

30. Gillian April 24, 2013 at 5:39 pm #

You are such a sweetheart! You nailed it – We’ve got the most lovely community here, and everyone’s input is worthy and appreciated! (Also, huge congrats to you!!!)

31. Claire Eggleton April 24, 2013 at 4:58 pm #

I loved the article and have to agree with all of the comments about the community. I have been blogging for a short time but the comments have been incredibly supportive. I think you are right about not being in competition with each other and that makes it easier when you finally take the leap and try to engage much more in the community.

• Rochelle New April 27, 2013 at 7:42 pm #

I’m glad that others are finding the same wonderful things about the community. It’s awesome that the online sewing world is universally accepted as supportive and encouraging! That’s how it should be.

32. Stephanie April 24, 2013 at 4:51 pm #

It’s true that sewing bloggers have a wonderful community. Since starting to blog about my creations I haven’t received anything but positivity and it’s really encouraging. I think everyone represented us so well in this article and you definitely deserved to be included! Hopefully it’ll get more people out there interested in the great world of sewing :)

• Rochelle New April 27, 2013 at 7:44 pm #

I’m so happy to hear that you’ve only received positive comments and encouragement. That’s awesome :)

33. the Garment Farmer April 24, 2013 at 4:39 pm #

well said! Congrats on the feature. And thank you for being a kind and supportive sewing blogger!! :)

34. Tasha @ By gum, by golly! April 24, 2013 at 4:34 pm #

Hear, hear!!

I’m so happy you were able to share a few sentences on sewing in that post, and I loved reading more of your thoughts here. I agree wholeheartedly about the sewing community online. It literally has opened up a new world for me in so many ways. :)

• Rochelle New April 27, 2013 at 7:40 pm #

Thank you, Dear! Yeah, if it wasn’t for sewing and blogging I wouldn’t be able to text you when you’re at work all the time ;) ;) xo

35. Helen McFadyen April 24, 2013 at 4:12 pm #

But you ARE one of the big bloggers! :)
    In total honesty though, I do sometimes feel like there are “levels” of sewing blogger, and I’m quite far down (this is purely in my head). This doesn’t bother me, because I’ve only been blogging a few months and I get a really kick when one of the “big hitters” does comment on my blog. But sometimes I feel like I’d like to be in the cool gang! When it boils down to it though, I’m more than happy to let bloggers like you, Tilly, Karen, Oona et al represent the rest of us. You all do it so well! :)

• Tone Vegsund April 25, 2013 at 2:38 am #

Amen!

• Rochelle New April 27, 2013 at 7:39 pm #

I don’t feel like a “big” sewing blogger though! Just don’t forget that EVERYONE has to start somewhere. Stick with it and you’ll be a big hitter too ;)

36. oonaballoona April 24, 2013 at 4:09 pm #

rochelle that was beautiful!!!!!! i don’t have enough exclamation points!!!!!!!

37. Lorie~Ferndale Lane April 24, 2013 at 4:08 pm #

You hit the nail on the head! That was a great article on MyDaily, I had to repost on Facebook. I just love the creative/sewing/crafty/making/DIY blogs! I personally do not know many people that like to create or make things like I do, so I LOVE knowing I can hop on the web and see and meet so many talented people. I have a small blog and I’m just glad that we can share and inspire each other!

• Rochelle New April 27, 2013 at 7:50 pm #

I don’t know too many people in “real life” that sew either so I really look to the online community to feel connected. I love when people can also experience that and know how awesome it feels :)

38. Jamie Eversole April 24, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

I was so happy to see you included in this article! You have always been so encouraging to me, even when I very first started blogging. You really are a perfect representation of what sewing bloggers are all about. This is a beautiful post <3

• Rochelle New April 27, 2013 at 7:48 pm #

Thank you, Jamie. That’s so sweet of you to say <3 xo

39. misscrayolacreepy April 24, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

You are the perfect blogger to represent us sewing bloggers! :) You totally deserve the feature!

We are so lucky to interact with some of the nicest people ever!

• Rochelle New April 27, 2013 at 7:45 pm #

Thanks :) I will always be extra thankful for the sewing community because it brought us together!!! <3

40. Lauren April 24, 2013 at 3:52 pm #

I was so excited to see you on this (along with the other ladies, of course!). So fancy!! :)

41. VickiKate April 24, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

That penultimate paragraph: beautiful and perfect and true!

42. Anne Evans April 24, 2013 at 3:32 pm #

Awww, thank you! That’s lovely – you’ve made me feel all warm & fuzzy!

43. Loran Watkins April 24, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

The article is pretty fantabulous : ) And yes, you are absolutely correct, this is an AMAZINGLY supportive corner of the world! I am a very small blogger (in terms of numbers) but I know that people out there stop by as I stop by their blogs to see what’s up. I have never felt I was trying to “out sew” someone, only motivated by all skill sets and the ideas, oh my goodness! The amount of ideas and inspiration out there has made sewing fun again for me. And like you my grandmother is my muse, so to speak. I keep her alive by using the skills she taught me. It’s a pretty nice connection : )

• Rochelle New April 27, 2013 at 7:48 pm #

Loran, I have the first email you sent me saved in my inbox because it made me smile so much. I LOVE meeting people who are not only passionate about sewing, but about blocky head dogs too ;) I will always be thankful for the sewing community for that reason!

1. My 40s gray wool skirt & feedsack blouse | By Gum, By Golly - August 28, 2013

[…] ways, especially this year. And speaking of which, if you haven’t already you need to go read Rochelle’s beautiful sewing manifesto, especially if you are new to sewing. I just love the online sewing […]

2. Judging The Super Online Sewing Match | Lucky Lucille™ - July 10, 2013

[...] I am completely honored (and slightly star struck, let’s be honest here) to be judging The Super Online Sewing Match along side of Florence from Flossie Teacakes, and Gretchen from Gertie’s New Blog For Better Sewing! Beth wrote a wonderful intro to my judge bio and I feel positively privileged to be included in such an amazing project. You know I’m all for community sewing! [...]