Home Sweet Sewing Room

Greetings from Upstate New York! So things have been a little crazy the past two months but we’re finally now starting to get back to normal again. Wil got offered a job from a really amazing web company where he can work from home, and after much debate we decided this would be the perfect opportunity to move closer to our families. Vermont has been incredible and we’ve loved every minute of the two years we’ve been there, but there’s really nothing that can beat home sickness except going home. Needless to say, after the job was official, we had about two weeks to move our whole lives back across state. There are so many things we didn’t get to do in Vermont, and so many people that I didn’t get to say goodbye to, but we’ll definitely be making a trip back up as soon as we can.

The good news is, I have a brand new sewing room!

luckylucille_sewingroom2

luckylucille_sewingroom1

It’s really not a whole lot different from my old sewing room (which was secretly my dining room), except I painted the furniture and arranged things a bit differently. I was searching for the perfect aqua paint color and immediately fell in love with this one mainly because the name is so awesome. It’s called “Mermaid’s Song” by Valspar. Tell me that’s not the coolest paint color ever!

luckylucille_sewingroom4

luckylucille_sewingroom3

I still have a bit more rearranging to do. I recently inherited a massive yarn stash that I’ve yet to find a place to put, but I couldn’t say no to free yarn! …I also can’t say no to homeless cats. That’s why I have five of them.

luckylucille_sewingroom8

Yep. I’m SO excited to be reunited with my kitties!! Though Nikko here is kind of is a massive brat and has been pretending she could care less that I’m home. Whatever, Nikko. You know you love me.

luckylucille_sewingroom6

This little cactus got left behind before we moved into our place in Vermont so I decided to keep him and then transport him with us to NY. He’s our little piece of the Green Mountain State that I’m trying not to kill. I’m not sure how “green” my thumb is. What’s a good name for a cactus?

luckylucille_sewingroom7

There’s slightly less natural light in this new room but at least it’s off the ground floor so I can leave the curtains wide open and not have to worry about neighbors peeping in on me. I tried to use lots of bright cheery colors to make up for the smaller window.

luckylucille_sewingroom5

Oh yes, I should mention that the other side of the room is occupied by William now that he works from home and also needed an office space.

luckylucille_sewingroom9

I’d say that’s a pretty typical “his” and “hers” situation.

luckylucille_sewingroom10

Lucille is actually really happy to be back home too even though her face says otherwise. It’s nice to have our own yard again, and be able to walk her in a nice quiet neighborhood, where the few other dogs are also walked on leash, so we don’t have to worry about being charged (or attacked) by off leash dogs anymore.

It’s been bittersweet to leave Vermont, we lived there long enough to fall in love with it, but all in all we’re very happy to be back surrounded by family and old friends. I also can’t tell you how excited I am to be closer to WWII reenactments and renaissance festivals!!

Stay tuned for more New York adventures! …and cat photos. Lots more cat photos.

42 Responses to Home Sweet Sewing Room

1. Rochelle June 14, 2013 at 11:46 pm #

Love the sewing room! Felt the same way when we finally bought our house, and I wasn’t having to put my sewing machine away in one of our kitchen cabinets at our apartment…
    I’m new to the blogging world, but your name caught my eye! Looking forward to reading more.

2. Windsor Grace May 30, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

I’m a new blog reader, so I’m confused when you’re talking about coming back to your cats and your cactus, but congrats on getting the move over with!

• Rochelle New May 30, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

Well hello there, new reader :) Thanks for stopping by to say hi!

3. Becca May 29, 2013 at 9:31 am #

Your new sewing space looks so cute and organized! I love that paint color. It’s definitely the coolest ever.

• Rochelle May 29, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

Thank you! I couldn’t help it, I just fell in love with the name of the color ;)

4. Sally @ thequirkypeach May 28, 2013 at 8:51 pm #

Ooooh I love your new space! It looks like it is in an attic, which I think is very romantic :) Glad to hear someone else has to share their space with a boy – haha. Love the paint color and organization! I know this will be a happy space to create in! :)

• Rochelle May 29, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

It’s not an attic but it does look very similar. Such is the Cape Cod style home I suppose, maybe still romantic? Either way we’re definitely happy with the space :)

5. Heather Lou May 27, 2013 at 12:18 pm #

Looks like a cheery sewing space – congrats on the successful move!

• Rochelle May 29, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

Thank you! :)

6. Jessica Cangiano May 27, 2013 at 4:44 am #

How wonderful that you’ve been able to set up your (gorgeous!) new sewing room already and that you reconnected with so many elements (and critters) you’d been home sick about. I completely agree with your line about how coming home is the only cure for that – so true. Over the years, time and time again, I’ve always come back to Penticton (where we live now), which is about the closest thing I have to a home town. I’d be happy as a clam if we never left again. :)

I hope everything goes awesomely for all of you in NY.

• Rochelle May 29, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

7. Tilly May 27, 2013 at 3:46 am #

Hahaha I had to giggle at the contrast between your side of the room and your man’s! Even the line up of drinks laid out on the desk vs. the pristine sewing area! Looks like a gorgeous room that will be the source of much creativity for the both of you. Wishing you lots of happiness in your new(-old) place! x

• Rochelle May 29, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

lol Yeah it’s pretty hilarious. I’m sure you can imagine the “his” and “hers” closet space too haha! Thank you for the wishes of happiness :)

8. Stephanie May 26, 2013 at 5:02 pm #

Glad you’re happy with the move and the new place! Your new sewing room is gorgeous. It’s funny because I was also putting together a sewing room this week :)

• Rochelle May 29, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

Thank you and good luck with your sewing room, too! :)

9. gingermakes May 26, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

Congrats on the new home! I hope Wil’s enjoying his new job! Your new sewing room is way adorable– love it!

• Rochelle May 29, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

Thanks! <3

10. Sean MacKenzie May 26, 2013 at 9:45 am #

Love, love, love!! Both Mikko and Lucille look content!! :) I gave up on a sewing room long ago for personal reasons. Unless I can get both a sewing and writing station…

The Fictionista
    {sean-mackenzie.blogspot.com}

• Rochelle May 29, 2013 at 2:15 pm #

You just need a very large table to accommodate both your sewing and writing ;)

11. Linda May 25, 2013 at 7:52 pm #

Love your room and I think it is awesome you share space with your man. Is that an old iron on the floor? How do you keep from stubbing your toes on it?

• Rochelle May 29, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

Yes it’s an antique Ober Sad Iron. I haven’t stubbed my toes on anything in the room yet, but now you’ve got me thinking about it lol

12. acolourfulcanvas May 25, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

Okay, Spike was my thought too, LOL. Love your sewing digs. I have a similar turquoise, Tropicana Cabana from BM that I’m threatening to paint Everything with. Looking forward to those cat pictures.

Sue xo

• Rochelle May 29, 2013 at 2:16 pm #

Oh good, I’m glad people are excited for more cat photos! ;) p.s. Tropicana Cabana sounds lovely. You SHOULD paint everything with it. Well, most everything. …maybe just a few things.

13. Lauren May 25, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

I love that aqua color you used…and it coordinates with your blog beautifully! :)

14. Andrea May 25, 2013 at 1:44 pm #

Yay for new sewing rooms! The thought of my future sewing space is the only thing getting me through our move from Europe back to the States next month. I love the paint color. It’s so very you. :)

• Rochelle May 29, 2013 at 2:17 pm #

Oh wow, now that is quite the move! Best of luck with that journey :)

15. christine haynes May 25, 2013 at 12:43 pm #

Your new sewing space is delightful! And the contrast from the other side of the room is hilarious. Enjoy getting settled and I look forward to some cat photos!

16. Kelly May 25, 2013 at 12:02 pm #

Congratulations on getting that move behind you! I just moved back closer to family last fall, and it’s just amazing to not feel homesick anymore. Your new sewing space looks fantastic!

17. Amy DeCesare May 25, 2013 at 11:59 am #

Hi – I’ve just found your pretty blog, purely by accident. I adore your sewing room and the colorful furniture, with the sweet name for the shade of paint! Can’t wait to look around at some other posts I’ve missed. Oh, and I think the cactus should be named Needles, if you’re keeping it in the sewing studio. ;)

• Rochelle May 29, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

Hi Amy, thank you for stopping by to say hello! I think Needles is the perfect name for the cactus!! So clever :)

18. novaisawesomeful May 25, 2013 at 10:58 am #

So. Organized. *drool*

19. sallie May 25, 2013 at 9:25 am #

Congratulations on the move! I hear ya, nothing is better than home – I keep waiting for my big chance to scoot on back too! Your sewing room is glorious!! Enjoy your time settling in!

20. ZoSews May 25, 2013 at 6:56 am #

Congrats on the move! The paint colour is very lovely. And I think you should call the cactus, Spike. lol

21. poppykettle May 25, 2013 at 6:13 am #

Loving the new sewing digs and that paint colour is perfection!!! Such a cheery colour :) Glad to hear to move is done with – now you can just get down to settling in!

22. Amanda May 25, 2013 at 4:47 am #

How exciting for you! And yay for having your kitties back and Lucille being able to walk in a nice quiet neighbourhood.
    I think Conrad would be a very dignified cactus name!

• Rochelle May 29, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

Oh yes, Conrad is a great name! :)

23. mariedoll May 25, 2013 at 3:44 am #

More photos of Lucille please.

Love the sewing room

24. Sabs May 25, 2013 at 1:24 am #

Yay for more cat photos! Loving the sewing room and how about Clacky the Cactus?

25. MarrieB May 25, 2013 at 12:06 am #

Your sewing space is great, that paint is perfect!

26. stgilbert May 24, 2013 at 11:22 pm #

Now you must be getting settled now that your sewing room is unpacked! Glorious! Hugs to Lucille :)

27. oonaballoona May 24, 2013 at 11:03 pm #

welcome back to NY! which is so very odd to say from dallas….

• paunnet May 25, 2013 at 1:50 pm #