Farmerette Trousers – Take 1

I have to thank everyone for their kind words on my stress induced blog post yesterday. I loved all the suggestions on how to deal, and I actually ended up getting a lot of things done because of your ideas. I snuggled with Lucille and the kitties for a while, watched an embarrassing amount of Supernatural on Netflix, and started a new knitting project (I learned a new stitch!). I also decided I wanted to be a redhead again so I dug some of my old wigs out of the closet, and finally, I took some photos for a new blog tutorial, and got some work done on the muslin version of my Fall For Cotton trousers! I think there’s something to the whole multi-tasking thing…

luckylucille_farmerette1

I didn’t get a whole lot of sewing done yesterday, but I got enough done to make a dent and I was able to finish my “Farmerette” trousers today!

luckylucille_farmerette2

I worked through these quickly so they’re not perfect, but they’re definitely wearable as far as test garments go! I used the PDF version of the Wearing History WWII Homefront Overalls pattern and I’d say they’re definitely a true 40′s reproduction based on how they fit.

luckylucille_farmerette3

The waist is a little tight now after making the front pleats deeper, the waistband is too thick (also my error), and I didn’t pay enough attention to the buttonhole placement, but these turned out pretty well! Especially since I was too lazy to look up the directions so I put them together from memory. I haven’t made this pattern before, but pants go together like pants so who needs directions anyways, right?

luckylucille_farmerette4

As I mentioned, the fit here is definitely authentic 40′s. The inseam feels way too short compared to modern styles, the crotch length is super long (it has to be or you can’t sit down), and the bum is… well look at it. It’s ridiculously flattering. *sarcasm*

luckylucille_farmerette10

Kenneth (that name is totally sticking, you guys! haha!) has decided that he hates rusty rakes and trousers with pleats.

luckylucille_farmerette5

As far as wear-ability goes, these trousers totally work. Lucille and I pulled some weeds just to put them to the test.

luckylucille_farmerette7

Actually, Lucille started pulling weeds on her own and I just decided I should pretend like I was a real Farmerette!

luckylucille_farmerette6

She’s so darn cute! Oh, and did you notice my socks? Haha! I’m classy like that.

luckylucille_farmerette9

I’m torn because I want to make some alterations to these trousers to make them more wearable for everyday, but if I change them too much, they won’t be so 40′s anymore. Hmm, it’s a tough choice! I could definitely wear them to reenactments as they are, but I really could use some that are more appropriate for everyday. Maybe they’ll look better in corduroy? I bought navy blue cotton twill to match my inspiration outfit, but I’m thinking a small wale cord might make the overall look less dressy.

luckylucille_fallforcotton_inspiration_1942

I suppose for sake of the sewalong, I shouldn’t make any major changes to the pants. They look pretty darn close to the photo as they are! Next up, I have to put together my shirt.

How is your Fall For Cotton project coming along? It’s not too late to join in!!

, , , , , , , , ,

29 Responses to Farmerette Trousers – Take 1

1. Tasha @ By Gum, By Golly September 7, 2013 at 9:17 pm #

Looooove them!! Seriously, wearable muslin, pshaw, those are the real deal! I think the main reason they may feel a little dressy is the color, I always find light pants (like khakis) to look dressy. They’d totally look more casual in corduroy. My 40s-style gabardine Heyday trousers look more dressy than my me-made cord pairs even though the shapes are pretty similar. I think yours look great, and the pleats are really a nice touch. I will definitely need to make this pattern into pants as well as overalls at some point. :) And weeding dog? Perfect! lol

2. gingermakes September 7, 2013 at 2:12 pm #

These are so adorable! I love this look on you! I would probably alter them to feel comfortable or I wouldn’t wear them, but that’s just me. I’m really looking forward to seeing your final version!

3. misscrayolacreepy September 5, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

Go, Lucille, go! Team work makes the dream work! haha

I always admire how quickly and easily you whip up pants!

4. Elena Knits September 5, 2013 at 9:05 am #

I’m glad that you’ve found some tasks to relax and be productive in some way. I love those pants, and if I had to decide, I would try to make some little mods to make them more wearable and flattering without loosing the 40′s vibe. Such a difficult compromise, I know :D

5. spinneretta September 4, 2013 at 11:14 pm #

I think the trousers look good- but that maybe you can mess with the fit and make them a little more flattering :) After all, they were designed to be easy to move it originally :) The photo on the right looks better than the one on the left though LOL
    I am glad your mum was OK after the bee sting, how scary!

6. stgilbert September 4, 2013 at 9:02 pm #

Firstly, I really love your new blog look! It is so very pretty and just perfect for you!

Your trousers turned out really well and I am all for making a few tweaks to make you more comfortable wearing them. I think if you maintain the 1940′s elements you’ll be great.

Lucille is so cute – “Look, Mama! I’m getting those bad weeds!” Heh.

7. sewinsteady September 4, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

they look so adorable on you! I definitely vote for the navy cord for the next pair, though you honestly can’t really go wrong with twill either. can’t wait to see them :)

8. Chuleenan of C Sews September 4, 2013 at 6:26 pm #

Trousers look good on you. The side buttons are a nice detail – interesting that they go so far down the side but that’s the only opening, right? So I guess they would need to be that deep. Love your photos!

9. Michelle September 4, 2013 at 2:19 pm #

You are completely adorable! These trousers suit you very nicely, and I’m not sure that’s true across the board. You definitely pull off the look.

10. sallie September 4, 2013 at 12:27 pm #

I LOVE how 40′s these trousers are!! You look like Katherine Hepburn! (when she’s doing the gardening…) I think they would look superb in that small wale cord.
    So glad you managed to bust through the stress! Way to be proactive and tackle it like a champ!!

11. zilredloh September 4, 2013 at 11:27 am #

What great trousers! I think they’re great for being a wearable muslin.

I have the same issue with 40′s style trousers… my butt looks so big and flat at the same time. It’s really not an attractive look on me as I’m already pear-shaped to begin with. I do think yours aren’t quite as bad as all that. Perhaps some well-placed pockets & pocket flaps would be a nice addition. :)

12. poppykettle September 4, 2013 at 7:51 am #

Even if the fact that these pants stay true to their decade – I think they look fabulous. You do the high waisted pant look so well! The detailing is delicious :)

13. Elena September 4, 2013 at 6:05 am #

Ahh, Supernatural makes anything better :)

Love these trousers – they look fantastic on you!

14. juliettemijeon September 4, 2013 at 5:53 am #

Your trousers look great! I have that pattern, too, I’m planning to make the overalls soon.

15. Clare September 4, 2013 at 4:04 am #

I think these are rocking and you should leave them as they are! If it’s not broke don’t fix it, and these don’t look broke to me. I would say they only need minor alterations, which you can apply to the next time you make them.

16. RankkaApina September 4, 2013 at 3:39 am #

I actually like the 40s look and I think they look really good on you :) I think I want to get this pattern now…

17. Esz (@kittysdrawings) September 4, 2013 at 2:59 am #

Bwahahahahahahah!!!
    KITTY SAYS NO

Omg
    hehehehe
    Too cute!!

*cough* yes, the pants! Ive never made pants or wear them enough to know the difference between a modern cut and a 40′s one. Are modern pairs more fitted around the bum?
    I think they look good on you – really! But you’re right, they are quite costumey in their authenticity.

18. Red Point Tailor September 4, 2013 at 2:39 am #

I love highwaist pants – so so much with pleast. Your version however is great – even with this few min points you mentioned. Next one will be for sure better :-)

19. the Garment Farmer September 3, 2013 at 11:44 pm #

I got my fabric today, so I feel like I made progress ;) Those trousers are darling, especially from the front. Love the kitty pic!

20. Danielle September 3, 2013 at 11:03 pm #

Patch pockets on the bum can make them a bit more flattering!

21. Jessica Cangiano September 3, 2013 at 10:52 pm #

Goodness, these are awesome! I love the classic colours of both the fabric and the buttons, as well as where they hit on the waist. Excellent job, honey – you and your critter models couldn’t be any more adorable!

22. Mary Elizabeth September 3, 2013 at 9:42 pm #

Ha, I’m planning on using that same pattern for my Rosie the Riveter costume for Halloween! I plan on using the full overall version of it, I think. I like your muslin of the pant version!

23. Sally {thequirkypeach} September 3, 2013 at 9:39 pm #

You are looking fab in these trousers!!! Can’t wait to see your final outfit! And I hope your mom is doing well! Allergy scares are no fun :(

24. Gillian September 3, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

Gorgeous fall-ish pictures! I vote you make the pants as-is for the sewalong, but maybe try another more modern take later on? Great job, and glad the hibernating yesterday helped!

25. Veronica lewis September 3, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

Glad some of the posts lifted your spirits and I like the pics, “kenneth” is funny. Trousers are just a night mare….though you really did a good job and they do look cute on you. I agree some adjustments would help but then you do loose that look but why on telly on the vintage shows do gals look so good in them???!!! Anyways, My night gown is going well just need to sew the top to the bottom which looks like it might be a tricky with the sharp v shape. Then I need to make the jacket, so far, so good. Talking about programs, have you seen Bomb Girls?

• Rochelle September 3, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

I agree, all the 40′s TV ladies look so cute! Especially in Bomb Girls, I love that show :)

26. sewcookgardenrepeat September 3, 2013 at 8:48 pm #

They are oddly really cute! I love the side buttons. When I finally decide to tackle pants, I may have to search for something that has some sort of side button. But yes, I think you should go ahead and make them more wearable. What’s the point of making clothes if they are going to spend most of their time sitting in the closet?

27. Tina C. September 3, 2013 at 8:46 pm #

So sorry you had a shite day yesterday. I hope everything is ok with your mom (been there done that–my mom is super allergic as well). I would modify these pants for every day wearability. What fun is making something you can’t wear?

Have you watched Foyle’s War? In Season 3 (which takes place in 1941) there’s an episode that centers are Land Girls–it totally made me think of you.

• Rochelle September 3, 2013 at 9:06 pm #

Thank you, yes my mom is fine now. Scary stuff though, huh? I wouldn’t wish those kinds of allergies on anyone! I have seen that episode of Foyle’s War and I loved it :)