Serious, Silly Sewing

If you follow me on Instagram you will have seen a preview of this sewing project already, and you will know that it manifested by accident as I was elbow deep in a sewing room overhaul. The problem with overhauling your sewing room is you often rediscover hidden gems that have been tucked away for a long while. Okay, that sounds more like Christmas than a problem, the problem is actually when you rediscover those things and then immediately drop the cleaning and start the sewing.

luckylucillle_flamingo2

Let’s back up to the beginning of the weekend (before I tore half my house apart), on my last trip to Joann’s, when I was browsing for possible patterns to help me make my Fall For Cotton shirt. The one I walked out with isn’t exactly what I had in mind, but for a fraction of its original price (on sale for $1.99!), it was good enough for me to play around with. Sometimes these trips make me feel guilty for the patterns I forgot were in my stash already, which is where the guilt cleaning entered my weekend…

As I was cleaning, I was going back and forth between which fabric to use for a test fit when I rediscovered this amazing Flamingo print gifted to me by my BSF (Blog-y, Sew-y Friend), Erin. I hadn’t forgotten about it, I was just waiting for the exact right project to come along. It wasn’t until I had chucked all of my fabrics off their shelves and onto the floor when I found the gingham “Ah ha!” fabric (that I definitely forgot I had) that inspired the magic that ensued shortly after.

luckylucillle_flamingo3

When I say magic, I actually mean ridiculousness in the best possible sense. I sat on the floor of my sewing space, surrounded by craft chaos, and thought to myself “…Flamingos and gingham? Do I dare?”.
Spoiler Alert: Yes I do!

luckylucillle_flamingo1

Sometimes you just need to set the “serious” sewing aside for a minute and make something wild and fun. Most of my sewing now-a-days revolves around WWII reenactments, but I’ve always loved non-40′s novelty prints and bright colors too. I did add some 1940′s sleeves to this shirt though, I couldn’t help it.

luckylucillle_flamingo4

luckylucillle_flamingo5

I’m only sharing little snippets of this shirt right now because it’s not finished yet, but I’m having so much fun making it! So much fun, in fact, that I may, or may not, have managed to sew one of the sleeves on inside out and I didn’t even get mad about it! I mean, some amateur broke into my house and sewed it on inside out. That, or the sewing faeries are up to no good again. …or maybe I did it. Whatever. It’s fixed now.

I think everyone needs to take a break from real wardrobe sewing, work sewing, sewing competitions, or any kind of “serious” sewing, and just make something seriously silly once in a while. Because come on, life is too short to not have a shirt that looks like you stole it from a waitress at a Rockabilly Tiki bar.

How about you, do you do more “serious” sewing or more “silly” sewing?

– Oh, back to serious sewing for a second though, Colette Patterns is currently second place in the Martha Stewart American Made competition but I want them to win! If it wasn’t for Colette patterns, I wouldn’t even be a sewing blogger and that’s the truth. So please vote! You can vote 6 times in a row, every day, until the 22nd. Come on, Sewing Community! Let’s make this happen.

Also in serious sewing news, Christine Haynes released a new sewing pattern: The Emery Dress. It’s beautiful! –

, , ,

30 Responses to Serious, Silly Sewing

1. Andrea @ Mouse in My Pocket September 13, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

Ok, I am madly in love with this! Someone needs to make me some button ups!

2. Lynne September 11, 2013 at 1:25 pm #

Oh my! I love the gingham and flamingos!! It’s seriously silly, and simply has to be done! Good luck with the rest of it. :)

3. Ashley September 11, 2013 at 9:45 am #

Yes, yes, YES!!!! Pink flamingos + gingham may be the best idea you’ve ever had, and that’s saying something :)

Love it!!!!

4. Sarah September 11, 2013 at 7:56 am #

Hooray for silly sewing! The blessing of children has allowed m to indulge a little more with crazy prints and colors, and made me try more bold and wild things for myself as well. I would wear that shirt, and why not? It’s crazy awesome!

5. loranc September 10, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

TOTALLY there with you! That’s why I made that Peacock coat, it was a break from the “serious” stuff : ) And my regular machine went to a theater to help out so all I had was my overlock… You’ve got me thinking about gingham now, too bad all the gingham I have is a cotton/poly blend and I can’t use it in the cotton sew along.

6. misscrayolacreepy September 10, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

The BSF approves!!!!

7. Michelle September 10, 2013 at 11:48 am #

This is going to turn heads! HA! I never think to combine prints. I don’t have a good eye for it. In this instance, I think it’s going to work and be a truly one of a kind blouse.

8. zilredloh September 10, 2013 at 11:21 am #

This shirt is so much fun! I know you saw my 40′s aeroplane print blouse yesterday… and I had the same fun feelings while sewing it up. I even completely messed up my button placket. I giggled at my rookie mistake and happily moved on.

YAY for fun sewing! Shouldn’t all sewing be such fun?!

9. Kelly September 10, 2013 at 10:30 am #

This is going to be adorable! Silly sewing now and then is one of the joys of making your own clothes!

10. sallie September 10, 2013 at 10:14 am #

Please please please wear this shirt to go bowling and make all my rockabilly dreams come true!! I agree – fun/silly projects are a MUST every once in awhile!! Thanks for reminding me – and your shirt is gonna rule!

• zilredloh September 10, 2013 at 11:22 am #

Yes!!! And I’m thinking pairing the blouse with some candy red capris, too.

11. poppyinstitches September 10, 2013 at 9:34 am #

flamingos and gingham are made for each other!

12. gingermakes September 10, 2013 at 9:32 am #

This is going to be amazing! Love the flamingos, and they look awesome with the gingham!

13. Shelly September 10, 2013 at 9:12 am #

I absolutely love the flamingo print and with the gingham – fabulous!! I cant wait to see it finished.

14. Jessica Cangiano September 10, 2013 at 8:32 am #

Awww, that snap of Lucille asleep on the pile of scraps is so darn cute I just about fell off the bed. And speaking of adorable thing, that’s exactly what this flamingo + gingham shirt is as well. So fun, carefree and fabulously creative!

15. Ginny September 10, 2013 at 5:17 am #

Ooh, I can’t wait! I’m a sucker for a good crazy novelty print, though I don’t sew with them as often as I should. The one I currently have waiting to be made up is a grey rayon with circus and fairground themed print in bright reds and pinks- big-tops, ferris wheels, performing seals, balloons etc. I plan on making a nice ’40s blouse with it, or possibly pairing it with a solid red to make a dress. Or maybe coordinating separates. Hmmm.

16. Freya May September 10, 2013 at 4:09 am #

Looks like it’s going to be a fabulous shirt! Cant wait to see the finished item :D

17. Annette Tirette September 10, 2013 at 3:38 am #

Awesome! Although I have to admit that this might count as serious sewing in my crazy print-loving book… I tend to make my own fancy dress costumes and have loads of fun with those. I’m talking fleece onesies here!

18. Mags September 10, 2013 at 2:28 am #

Love it!, as a 57 year old who has been wearing a flamingo dress this summer I am all for a bit of fun.

19. Christine September 10, 2013 at 12:26 am #

:) thanks for the shout out lady! can’t wait to see this creation!

20. Gjeometry September 10, 2013 at 12:06 am #

I can’t wait to see the finished product! You are so cruel just posting snippets.:-P

21. Beccie Leathley September 9, 2013 at 11:36 pm #

I agree with you about doing something silly every now and again… or at least stop pushing yourself with deadlines! I’ve recently finished a dress that I allowed myself to sew at my own speed, and I enjoyed it so much more, and the finish is so much nicer than the two I had to sew to a deadline!

22. ShanniLoves September 9, 2013 at 11:07 pm #

I cannot wait to see this shirt fully complete in all it’s flamingo/gingham glory!!

23. kaloskraft September 9, 2013 at 9:46 pm #

The flamingos/gingham looks great! Especially the sleeve detail. I go back and forth from either completely serious solids (which I love) to insanely silly and bizarre-oddly enough I have a lot of both in my wardrobe, which is probably why I can never come up with a cohesive personal style.

24. Laura Sinclair September 9, 2013 at 8:46 pm #

That is seriously awesome. I would never have believed it, but that combination works!

25. Helen September 9, 2013 at 8:38 pm #

I think it’s going to be fantastic! I think when we get to a certain age if we love it then that;s all that matters lol!
    Helen

26. Shannon September 9, 2013 at 8:23 pm #

I love the blouse (or at least, what I can see of it)! I love all the novelty prints available even if I don’t use them that often. I usually sew more serious projects than silly ones, although I will admit that I did just sew a pair of shorts that I have NO idea if I’ll ever wear, but they’re fun and cute. Does that count?

27. Amy W September 9, 2013 at 8:02 pm #

I love the flamingo-gingham combo! So fun! I tend to be a serious sewer. I’m slowly getting out of my solid color rut. I recently made a apron using hot pink fabric and fabric with vintage aprons on it.

28. stgilbert September 9, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

So fun and so cute!!!

1. Golden Girl | Lucky Lucille™ - September 22, 2013

[…] was hoping to take photos of my flamingo shirt today but it was a bit too cold for short sleeves so I had to re-think my original outfit. When […]