merry happy joyus etc

I hope everyone had a happy holiday! Mine was filled with eating way too many cookies (there’s no such thing actually), taking too many photos of Lucille (also no such thing), spending time with my family, and purposefully not picking up present boxes to see how many cats I could catch. Sounds like a pretty perfect Christmas if you ask me.

goober4

Lucille looks guilty here because she was caught red handed at the Cat Box Buffet and was unsure if Santa Paws would still bring her presents. She’s definitely not on the naughty list, but I still think Santa should have brought her a new tooth brush instead of a Petco giftcard.

goober3

cookies

catinabox

I was really bad this year and spent a lot of time sewing my Archer button-up shirt instead of sewing Christmas presents. I tried to sneak in some last minute rush sewing on Christmas Eve but, as you can probably guess, I finished nothing. Oh well. You don’t need to use Christmas as an excuse to give gifts to the ones you love, right? Right.

Speaking of my Archer project, I’ve made some progress and it’s nearly finished! In fact, it would have been finished by now except it was amateur hour at Lucky Lucille Headquarters and I sewed a perfectly set-in sleeve on inside-out. Not once. But TWO TIMES! This is why you don’t sew late in poor lighting with fabric that doesn’t have an obvious right and wrong side. I wish I could use the excuse that I hit the Eggnog too hard that evening but I don’t drink much else besides coffee, and that wasn’t helping me either.

archerprogress2

I also made things infinitely more hard on myself by being too lazy to turn on my laptop and follow the actual Archer instructions. If I had done that, I would know that Jen eases the sleeve into the shoulder and then stitches up the sleeve seam and side seam in one step. You’d think I’d be better at following directions by now but uh, …yeah.

archerprogress1

The good news is my button hole foot and I are on speaking terms again! I’m happy to report I had not one problem with it this time. At least not with the standard button hole. I haven’t tried the rounded end ones since “the incident“.

archerprogress4

Again, I made things infinitely harder on myself by altering the original collar to a 1940′s collar and then attempting to keep the yoke facing. I’m almost too embarrassed to share the state of the inside of my Archer, because it’s not too pretty after hand basting the yoke facing in place and then top stitching it from the outside. But! It does look nice on the outside so who cares about the inside, right? (Uhg. I do. Who am I kidding.) I know it doesn’t look that bad (I’m not showing you the BAD side), I just know I could have done a much more tidy job and it’s bugging me that I didn’t.

archerprogress3

Once I get the sleeves in I just need to hem it and sew on the buttons, then it’s finished! Just in time to wrap up Archer Appreciation Month. I might even attempt some decorative saddle stitching around the collar and cuffs to compliment the brown buttons. We’ll see. I’m eager to finish so I can move on and get serious about sewing for 2014! I have A LOT of goals.

16 Responses to merry happy joyus etc

1. Miss Crayola Creepy January 2, 2014 at 6:45 pm #

Cat Box Buffet haahhahahhhahaha!!!

Also, my machine is copying your machine and I’m not happy! My buttonhole part isn’t working, it gets stuck and doesn’t move. So it sews the same stitch over and over. I’m angry!

2. Jessica Cangiano December 31, 2013 at 10:12 am #

Aww, that photo of sweet Lucille going to town with a look of sheer glee on “opening” her gift put the biggest smile on my face! :)

3. jaclynmariet December 30, 2013 at 12:54 pm #

Dog + wrapping paper = one of the most hilarious parts of Christmas morning at our house every year. Hope Lucille enjoyed it as much as our Rusty does!

4. gingermakes December 29, 2013 at 6:02 pm #

This is so pretty! I really like that you put your own spin on the collar– it really suits you! I totally failed on both gift sewing AND my Archer Appreciation shirt. I wasn’t organized enough to bring my sewing supplies with me to the midwest, so I won’t be able to work on it until January. :(

5. Mim McDonald (@crinolinerobot) December 29, 2013 at 7:46 am #

Cat box buffet? Eeeew, Lucille!

It sounds like you had a great Christmas, and the colour of your Archer is great.

• Rochelle New December 29, 2013 at 9:04 am #

Hahah I know!! I thought I raised her better than that lol. Oh well, she IS a dog I suppose. It’s a good thing she’s so cute ;)

6. Kalliopie December 28, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

sounds like a great christmas. And you can never sew too much ;)

xo Fräulein K.

• Rochelle New December 29, 2013 at 9:08 am #

I agree! Here’s to more sewing in 2014 :)

7. johanna@projects by me December 28, 2013 at 1:59 am #

It does sound like you had a perfect X-mas! (Cookies and pet photos are never wrong.) Good luck with finishing your shirt, the colour looks great!

8. angela December 27, 2013 at 10:46 pm #

Lucille is so cute! Even when she is shamed… Merry Christmas to you, your archer is coming along nicely! The sleeve placket looks perfect!

• Rochelle New December 29, 2013 at 9:07 am #

Merry Christmas to you too, Angela! Yeah Lucille is lucky she’s so darn cute ;)

9. Kelly December 27, 2013 at 7:43 pm #

You did have a perfect Christmas! Lucille is such a sweetheart. My mom’s dog figured out what presents are this year and will have to unwrap all treats herself from now on :) They make the holidays so fun!

• Rochelle New December 29, 2013 at 9:05 am #

Aww that’s adorable! Pets definitely make everything better, especially the holidays :)

10. Kate December 27, 2013 at 6:44 pm #

What a beautiful color. I’m glad I’m not the only one who sews right-side to wrong-side from time to time!.

• Rochelle New December 29, 2013 at 9:06 am #

Thanks, Kate. No you’re definitely not the only one! ;)