what should i knit?

I had secretly known about Tasha’s Knit For Victory challenge for ages since we’d been discussing the idea before Sew For Victory was even over. So you would think I’d know exactly what to make by this point! …but I don’t.

yarn4

I haven’t knit anything in a while so to get warmed up I made a 1940s inspired turban. It’s just one long piece at this point, but once I sew it together it will be complete and blog ready. I didn’t follow a pattern but hopefully it will look something like this (the one with the big bow) when it’s ready to wear.

yarn3

I also bought yarn to make the Miss Laverty Motoring Hood by Susan Crawford and I have every intention of making it because A.) it’s adorable, and B.) I know I would wear it all the time. I saw a very similar hooded scarf in an old Sears catalog that had wide stripes throughout, so now I’m considering trying to make one with maroon, navy, and white stripes. Wouldn’t that be cute? I’ve never made anything with stripes before though…

yarn1

But! I finally buckled down and learned how to do ribbing because I’m considering a WWII service vest as an easier project that will help me reach my goal of knitting a sweater. I’m so much more timid about knitting than I am sewing and I just can’t bring myself to dive right into a full sweater yet. I need baby steps! I think a sweater vest would be a good practice.

yarn2

Finally, I made a little swatch type thing (I made this a while back) to test out this awesome V for Victory pattern by the National WWII Museum. Can you see the V? (I’m using my phone for photos today so they’re not the greatest) If I’m really ambitious, I think I could work this little V design into the shoulder of my proposed sweater vest!

I suppose I need to be realistic with the time constraints since I am still a beginner and not the fastest knitter out there. I’d probably get more wear out of the hooded scarf since I’m constantly wearing hats to conceal my wild untamed hair, but I’d be awfully proud of the sweater vest if I can pull it off. It’s so hard to decide! If I was a speedy knitter I would definitely just make both, but I think I’m going to have to pick just one. I have a big WWII reenactment coming up at the end of January so I could definitely use some period-correct warmth near my face…

What’s it going to be: Sweater vest? Or motoring hood?

What are you making for the Knit For Victory challenge? Are you on Ravelry? Let’s be friends!

19 Responses to what should i knit?

1. Nadine December 6, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

Go for it :-D
    This is really funny: The first sweater I ever made was that V-neck vest :-D I made one for my sweetheart and one for my best friend – to keep them warm when reenacting together :-)
    A part of my Knit For Victory is the V-for-victory-scarf, too! As a matter of fact, I already made two … almost all of my friends are reenactors, so…. ;-)
    So: try the V-neck vest – it is a great project for starting knitting sweaters and looks great! :-)

2. Bernadette Crumb December 6, 2013 at 12:28 pm #

Are you looking at doing the ARC ladies v-neck cardigan or the men’s v-neck pullover? I’m doing the latter and only have about 6 inches to go on it. It’s my first sweater (if you don’t count the baby clothes I’ve knitted for friends) and I’ve found it quite easy to work and it knits up pretty quickly once past the ribbing. You only need to know how to “make-one” increase, knit front and back decrease and basic 2×2 ribbing, stockinette and garter stitch. It can be knitted in worsted or DK weight yarn. If you use the latter, knit it one size up than you would normally wear (if you’normally wear small, knit the medium pattern). I hope, whichever you choose that you enjoy the project. :-)

3. LadyD December 6, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

All your projects sound Fab.
    I’m so jelous of people who can knit well. I just take so long to knit and my tension is all over the place and I always loose my place. *sigh* I have however through ravelry just discovered crochet. And MA finding its much more suited to me…it comes together so much quicker than knitting and only one hook for clumsy me to have to deal with. lol!

4. Jennifer December 6, 2013 at 9:14 am #

Motoring Hood! Oh so cute!

5. JJ December 5, 2013 at 10:32 pm #

I can see the “V”…oh that’s so cool! If you do go with the hood, you can put the “V” on the end on the scarf part. I bet if you start right now on the vest, you’d finish before you know it with time leftover for the hood too! :o) Of course you might not get to do anything else but knit!

6. Kate-Em December 5, 2013 at 7:01 pm #

I would have both projects on the go as they will suit different activities. The sweater will be more difficult so will need a bit of quiet to concentrate. The hood is more portable and could be knitted socially or in moments when you only have time for a couple of rows. They both look lovely. Will look you out on Ravelry.

7. Miss Crayola Creepy December 5, 2013 at 5:42 pm #

I vote for the motoring hood! It’s super cute, practical, and will get a lot of use in these winter months. Where is your reenactment going to be?

8. zilredloh December 5, 2013 at 10:51 am #

I luv that motoring hood! I’ve been wanting to knit that one up myself – so of course I’d love for you to make it so I can delight in it’s cute loveliness. :) My vote is on that for Tasha’s KAL.

I’m a bit hesitant to say you should make the vest as a precursor to a sweater. Steeks still scare me (cutting into your vest with scissors), and I bet there’s going to be a fair amount of picking up stitches for your armhole and neckline – which can get icky looking if not done nicely. I have every confidence you could do it….

But if you’re wanting to dip your toes into sweater knitting, I’d start with a top down raglan style. There are no seams to stitch up and sleeves are worked in the round (again no seaming). It goes rather quickly when using worsted weight yarn – so it’s more instant gratification than say a fingering weight yarn. My first ever knitting project was such a sweater and it gave me the confidence to charge forward with other styles.

9. J. December 5, 2013 at 6:50 am #

I think both are awesome projects, it’s really up to you. You’re going to spend a fair time investment working on whatever you choose – the vest is more ambitious, but if you love it more then you’re going to have much more fun making in.

10. Mim McDonald (@crinolinerobot) December 5, 2013 at 4:33 am #

The hood is extremely simple – I made one ages ago for a swap – so if you travel a lot by bus/train it’s a great commuter project. That said, a lot of the hood is plain rib, and you might get bored of that. I’d be tempted to start both and have the hood for commuter knitting / carrying about to knit in queues/waiting rooms and the vest for knitting at home.

(I’m in the Ravelry group – I’m idontlikecricket)

11. Siri Andersen December 5, 2013 at 4:13 am #

Go for the vest! You know you can handle it ;) Once you get going, it is not hard, and your sense of accomplishment after will be so much greater. The hood is super cute, but I think you’ll be properly bored half way through it ;)

12. Stacia December 5, 2013 at 1:36 am #

I would pick the hood because you can definitely finish it in the time constraints and, if you have left over time, move on to the vest and see how far you can get. I find, for me, when I’m starting a new project and trying to learn a skill, finishing projects always helps me want to keep going.

13. Jessica Cangiano December 4, 2013 at 10:40 pm #

Not being a knitter myself, I don’t feel overly qualified to way in here, but I’d lean more towards the vest, especially given the importance of layering pieces at this time of the year. Whatever you make, darling gal, I know it will be beautiful!

14. Stephanie December 4, 2013 at 9:42 pm #

I vote for the motoring hood! I’m also planning on making one for the knit along too! :)

15. Maria Goode December 4, 2013 at 9:07 pm #

I started knitting not too long ago – made little things like hats, scarves, and mittens (one pair of mittens was done on two straight needles). I would suggest knitting the sweater vest. I have never made a sweater/ vest before, and think that it would be both challenging and it would give a proud feeling of accomplishment. This would be my first time participating in Knit for Victory. I will try to find a vintage pattern in the next week, so that I can get started soon.

16. MarrieB December 4, 2013 at 8:00 pm #

I’ve been thinking about trying some argyle socks, I just need to settle on a pattern. I think you should give the vest a shot, but it sounds like the hood might be more practical with your upcoming reenactment. So, I guess I’m really no help. ;) And I second Lisa’s suggestion to try some circular needles – they are so much easier to knit with.

17. Evie December 4, 2013 at 7:32 pm #

I thought about doing the motoring hood as well, but I’m working on Tasha’s “Victory” instead. I’m sure I’ll get to the hood at some point. I say go for the vest!

18. Lisa December 4, 2013 at 7:06 pm #

I took up knitting this year also and I highly suggest you switch to circular needles. I prefer them over those straight awkward ones. And YES isn’t ravelry a treasure!?

1. I came, I saw, I knit | Loran's World - February 1, 2014

[…] Rochelle posted “What should I knit?” and had the CUTEST “V for Victory” scarf pattern and I KNEW I had to incorporate […]