my knit for victory project

luckylucille_land_girl_headband

Well I had grand plans for Tasha’s Knit For Victory challenge but alas, I did not follow through on those original plans. Turns out I need to step back and re-learn knitting from the bottom up. I know the stitches but I don’t know a lot of fundamental language, or how to read patterns, or many crucial knitty things that I should know. It’s a mess really.

But long story short… I made a small turban style headband to go with my Women’s Land Army uniform!!!

luckylucille_land_girl_headband_2

I’ll have plenty more W.L.A uniform photos to share soon (I’m at a WWII reenactment all this weekend) but for right now I need to share my headband since today is the Knit For Victory deadline!

luckylucille_land_girl_headband3

I didn’t use a pattern exactly, but my turban style headband starts with the It’s A Cinch pattern as a base. I just added a little extra piece to the center for the turban knot. For the knot I cast on 10 stitches and knit until it was long enough to wrap around the cinched center, then I sewed it together at the back and tied it to the headband so it couldn’t twist around. I wish I could remember what yarn I used (it’s been in my stash a while) but I know I got it at Jo-Anns… I think it’s Lion’s Brand Wool-Ease. Susan Crawford just announced a brand new yarn color in her Excelana line called Land Army Green! How perfect would that have been?

luckylucille_land_girl_headband4

The headband was a really quick little project that I enjoyed making, but I really want to take a class so I can learn how to read patterns and get better at knitting in general. One of these days I swear I’m going to knit my own sweaters. Well first I would just like to be able to knit a simple beret since I wear one all the time!

Check out all the other beautiful projects in the Knit For Victory Flickr pool and Ravelry Group. My meager headband is quite dwarfed in comparison to the incredible projects that were shared. I am in awe! But hey, I actually finished something so any small victory is still a victory ;)

If you’re pining for some 1940s sewing, Sew For Victory will return in the Spring! I’m so excited!

, , , , ,

25 Responses to my knit for victory project

1. Buttercup February 13, 2014 at 5:52 pm #

I learned to knit patterns from the Lion Brand wool website. It has a lot of really great resources to learn how to knit and how to read their patterns. You should check it out!

2. Emileigh February 6, 2014 at 9:38 pm #

That is exactly what happened to me this go-round!!! I, too, realized that I didn’t know enough to properly complete a project, and now I won’t be done with the challenge in time. But it was good learning!

3. Miss Crayola Creepy February 6, 2014 at 4:42 pm #

It’s so perfect!! And I’m in love with that greennnnnnnnn!

I am anxiously waiting for more photos of you and Laurel Sue.

4. Stacia February 4, 2014 at 7:58 pm #

I just made a very similar headwrap – my very first knitting project. It took me FOREVER. haha. I am determined to learn, though, and to be able to knit myself sweaters and all sorts of lovely cozy things. I’m allergic to wool, so I’m driven to be able to make warm acrylic items so I don’t freeze all winter trying to survive with more summer-friendly sweaters. I’m looking forward to seeing what else you make as you re-learn this skill, because I would love to find vintage touches for my knitting. :)

5. Ellen February 4, 2014 at 7:34 pm #

You should listen to the new podcast knit.fm. They do a wonderful job explaining the basics. It is Pam Allen And Hannah Fettig, you should check it out.

6. Amy February 3, 2014 at 7:49 pm #

You look amazing! I’ve been pondering getting involved in WWII reenactments…how did you go about it?

7. Amanda February 3, 2014 at 6:23 pm #

I would love that! I’ve been thinking about doing some re-enactments with a friend of mine and have been thinking about what type of outfit would be best for me — the WLA seems like a good fit. I would really like to know more about where to look for some of the pieces, especially that tie — it’s fantastic.

8. Tasha @ By Gum, By Golly February 3, 2014 at 12:39 pm #

Well I think it’s adorable and couldn’t look better with your WLA outfit!!

9. Mim McDonald (@crinolinerobot) February 3, 2014 at 4:53 am #

Ha, at least you finished on time, I didn’t. Your headband looks jolly nice, especially with that outfit.

10. sallie February 2, 2014 at 10:26 am #

Congrats on finishing your Knit for Victory turban!! I think it’s a great little knitted piece, and it looks like it will keep your ears nice and toasty! I’ve been trying to teach myself how to knit – mostly through youtube tutorials – and it’s kind of hilarious!

11. Maddie February 1, 2014 at 9:38 pm #

I think it looks great, Rochelle. I hope you have fun at your reenactment this weekend!

12. Lynne Johnson February 1, 2014 at 9:21 pm #

Your turban is adorable and enhances your outfit perfectly. I am very much a beginner knitter too. I’m working on the Miss Marple scarf with the aid of some very patient friends. My motivation for learning are those wonderful sweaters by Andi Satterlund. They are exactly what I like. I hope you continue to make attractive little accessories and maybe tackle a sweater this year.

13. stgilbert February 1, 2014 at 7:30 pm #

You look terrific, Rochelle, and your headband is great! Toasty warm, too, I bet.

14. Carla February 1, 2014 at 5:24 pm #

Your headband is super adorable! I can’t wait to see you talk about the reenactment on your blog, I’m super excited for it.

15. Veronica lewis February 1, 2014 at 12:36 pm #

Simple but looks brilliant! The entire outfit does. Can you tell where you found some of your outfit pieces? I am extremely into the WLA and love to see anything to do with them. Jealous of your weekend, do share all when you get back.

16. Jessica Cangiano February 1, 2014 at 7:07 am #

Really wonderful job on your project. That shade of green looks as gorgeous as an emerald nestled into your wonderfully pretty red locks. From headband to wellies and all style points in between, everything about this reenactment ensemble is magnificent.

17. Siri Andersen February 1, 2014 at 4:28 am #

Congrats on your finished knit! It looks great with your outfit ;) However, I am most blown away by your breeches! They’re exactly the style I want, but I cannot find a pattern for them… Do you know of any, perhaps?

18. chuleenan February 1, 2014 at 3:57 am #

Nice headband! It goes so well with your outfit. You look very ’40s. If these photos were black-and-white, I’m sure folks would think they were taken during that era.

19. auntsr9 January 31, 2014 at 11:26 pm #

Hi, I love the head band. The color is so 40′s fab. I just finished a great book written in letter form about two women whose husbands were off serving in the military during WWII. It has quite a few recipes that I am sure were popular at the time of rationing and a lot of descriptions of the clothing they wore. It is called “I’ll be Seeing You” by Suzanne Hayes and Loretta Nyhan. My favorite books are about the lives of women in the 1940s.

20. Virginia January 31, 2014 at 10:18 pm #

I always love your pictures. :-)

21. spinneretta January 31, 2014 at 10:02 pm #

LOL I might have been able to squeeze a headband in if I had thought of it ;) Great job- and practical too!

22. youngseamstress January 31, 2014 at 7:04 pm #

Cute! I was considering using the same pattern for my project (or one of them… I had plans for a couple)… but then I wound up with tendinitis in both arms and wrists and couldn’t participate in the knit-along at all. Oh well, I’m still looking forward to seeing everyone else’s projects!

23. Raesha January 31, 2014 at 6:59 pm #

Oh my goodness!!! I’m a fairly new reader to your blog and I absoutely love it. I’m obsessed with WWII. I FREAKING LOVE your WLA outfit – do you have a blog post about it?? I would love to put one together for myself.

• Rochelle January 31, 2014 at 7:03 pm #

Hi Raesha,
      This is the first time my WLA uniform has graced my blog (I’ve done civilian farm girl impressions in the past) but I’ll share more about it, including how to piece together your own! :)