BALLOON ANIMAL PARTY – 1948

When I stumbled upon this series of photos in the Google LIFE archives I could hardly believe my eyes or contain my giggles. The photos are clearly from some sort of large party featuring a balloon artist and well, …a whole lot of ridiculousness.

1948BalloonParty1

1948BalloonParty2

1948BalloonParty3

1948BalloonParty4

1948BalloonParty5

1948BalloonParty6

1948BalloonParty7

1948BalloonParty8

It’s amazing how these photos are almost 70 years old but there’s still something so familiar about them. I feel like I recognize every single face from somewhere. Isn’t it funny how old photos can be like that? There’s really nothing more timeless than having fun and not taking life too seriously.  If I could travel back in time, this would be an evening I’d like to be part of. I wonder if any of these people are still alive and remember this night as one of their favorites. I think I would.

1948BalloonParty9

1948BalloonParty10

1948BalloonParty11

1948BalloonParty12

1948BalloonParty13

1948BalloonParty14

1948BalloonParty15All photos taken by Martha Holmes in February 1948.

So uh, what’s your favorite balloon animal?

18 Responses to BALLOON ANIMAL PARTY – 1948

1. Viviane March 5, 2014 at 9:30 pm #

Gostei muito da postagem, eu adoro fazer esses animais nas festas de criança, amo todos. Adorei seu blog. Beijos
    Viviane,

2. Trisha March 1, 2014 at 9:41 am #

I used to work ar a photo studio where we actually made these to reward kids for a good session. My favorite was the bunny, but we also made airplanes, daschounds, daisies, giraffes, and mice. It’s harder than it looks! But fun once ypu get the hang of it.

3. Veronica lewis March 1, 2014 at 8:28 am #

I needed that smile, Thank you for taking the time to share. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

4. jantiki February 27, 2014 at 1:27 pm #

I’m amazed at how dressed up they are to be playing with balloons. Thanks for sharing!

5. Hope February 27, 2014 at 12:28 am #

What the, what is even happening?! Those are hilarious, thanks for sharing :)

6. sewlaurasew February 26, 2014 at 8:24 pm #

This is hilarious/brilliant! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

7. Maddie February 26, 2014 at 6:44 pm #

You’re right, these photos seem familiar. They remind me of the modern day photobooth that you see at so many parties!

8. Jessica Cangiano February 26, 2014 at 3:20 pm #

My word, that’s fabulous! It has a certain surrealist sort of Dali meets Felini and they’re working together on a scene for one of his early films vibe to it. Awesome find, dear Rochelle!

9. Michelle February 26, 2014 at 12:34 pm #

These are wild. I think a lot of times, people romanticize the past. I think people were just as prone to having fun, being ridiculous and getting into trouble as they are today, they just used a lot more discretion than we do.

Thanks for sharing this great find! Also, thanks for your last post on jumping out of a funk. I forced myself to sit down and sew last night. I didn’t have a lot of time, and I didn’t get a lot done, but I got started. And, it felt good.

10. My Sewing Suite February 26, 2014 at 11:51 am #

what a funny thing to come across. My favorite would be a poodle. Thanks for the laughs this morning

11. theblueoaktree February 26, 2014 at 11:24 am #

Ha! What fun. I think that striped jacket the second woman is wearing is rather gorgeous.
    -Stine.

12. heather k (@heather_kaye) February 26, 2014 at 9:20 am #

My favorite thing is the couple nuzzling in the bottom left of the first picture – I usually hate that, but they (he, especially) seem so happy (and oblivious to the guy watching them).

13. Steff February 25, 2014 at 11:31 pm #

What fantastic pictures… I wonder if there was any helium involved…?

14. Stacia February 25, 2014 at 6:58 pm #

These are amazing! What a gem! Thank you so much for sharing and bringing a little joy in to my day.

15. Abigail February 25, 2014 at 6:50 pm #

What fun!!!! the photographer captured these folks so well its unbelievable!

What i find interesting is that they’re all grown ups. Isn’t it a shame that today, balloon artists are mostly thought of as with children’s parties?

16. KaoruMarie February 25, 2014 at 6:42 pm #

Bwahahahah! This is hilarious! Have you seen (or heard of) the balloon animal documentary? http://www.twistedballoondoc.com/ I haven’t actually watched it, just read about it. I doubt the doc has images as fabulous as these photos!

17. gingermakes February 25, 2014 at 6:29 pm #

I just laughed for a good solid minute. What strange, amazing photos!

18. annekecaramin February 25, 2014 at 5:45 pm #