moments to cherish

tabbymae

Things have been slow around here as I spend every last waking moment with my sweet old lady cat, Tabby Mae. Affectionately known as “Mayday” for her extreme protests when you’re late serving her breakfast, this little kitty is very special to me. Back in the summer of 1995 I was about to start the third grade and my mom promised me I could get a cat. I will never forget the first time I saw her at the animal shelter. My little tabby kitty with a crooked bobbed tail and a permanent proud expression. She was my first rescue and I thought I was terribly clever as I wrote the name “Tabby” down on the adoption papers. She’s also affectionately known as #unimpressedcat on instagram and I find comfort knowing she made a lot of people smile when they saw her funny little face.

Nineteen years later, she is now my oldest and dearest friend. I haven’t loved many things for as long as I have loved this kitty of mine. She is reaching the end of her very long and wonderful life and I am heartbroken to see her so frail when she was the very definition of spry up until recently.

I just have to stop and cherish these last moments I have with her.

31 Responses to moments to cherish

1. symondezyn February 20, 2014 at 6:01 pm #

OMG i have so much love and tears for you – I know all too well what it’s like to lose your best friend and furry soul mate. Always know that as much joy and love she brought you, you gave to her as well, and that she lived a beautiful, charmed life knowing how special and beloved she was… that kind of love transcends physical life :) XOXO

2. Yvonne Boots-Faubert February 19, 2014 at 5:03 am #

Hi Lucille, one of my oldest and sweetest babies Pixel cat left about two years ago at the age of 18. Another of my beloved fur babies (Midnight kitty) passed unexpectedly about a year after from a rare genetic illness at the age of 5. You are right to cherish and love your Tabby every second you can! No matter how long we have with them, it is never long enough. Aside from the humans, I share my life with two doggies, three kitties and a turtle, but no matter how many I have, I still have in my heart the ones who have moved on. Lots of love, Yvonne (teaandcat.blogspot.com)

3. emcclure2010 February 16, 2014 at 4:18 pm #

Oh dear…I am sorry! Tabby looks like a lovely girl. My Aggie left a couple years ago also at age 19. We aways joked that she wasn’t ever actually going to die since she’d been here so long! You go cherish those last days and know we’re all sending you lots of love.

4. Charlotte February 16, 2014 at 9:58 am #

Pets aren’t pets, they’re family, (so says a food services inspector friend of mine who feeds her dog in the kitchen).
    Sorry for your loss.

5. poppykettle February 16, 2014 at 5:28 am #

And I hope you cherish every last moment with her :) I still think of my shelter rescue dog Leon, a labrador cross staffy who lived until the ripe old age of 17. Pets that are with you all through childhood and adolescence (and in your case, beyond) are special indeed. Scratch that – ALL pets are special. Tabby is no exception!

6. Debi February 15, 2014 at 4:07 pm #

It so hard to see pets become frail! You are in my thoughts….

7. gingermakes February 15, 2014 at 3:27 pm #

I am so sorry, sweetie. Losing a beloved pet is such a heartbreak, and it’s so sad that their lives are so much shorter than ours. You’re in my thoughts. :(

8. Veronica lewis February 15, 2014 at 7:46 am #

Swallowing hard with watery eyes, I lost one of mine not too long ago. They are amazing. Every night I would hold my dear Moseley close and pet him listening to him purr, stopping the crazy world and just appreciating those special moments so I had even more memories of our quiet time together. Enjoy MayDay with every moment you have.

9. Pat February 14, 2014 at 8:21 pm #

My friend said it best – my cat owns a human. Pet’s unconditional love and unique personalities are what keep us going. Sending hugs.

10. stgilbert February 14, 2014 at 7:41 pm #

What a beautiful tribute to a beloved companion. May you still feel her warm spirit. ((HUGS))

11. Jessica Cangiano February 14, 2014 at 2:36 pm #

{{{Gentle hugs}}}

This is both heartbreaking and beautiful. If only more people the world over would take the time you are to make sure they spend as much of the last of their pet’s remaining moments with them as they possibly can. I’m sure Tabby Mae truly appreciates and loves you back every much as you cherish her and is so grateful that you’re there for her during this final chapter of her life.

12. Stacia February 14, 2014 at 2:34 pm #

I lost my childhood dog a couple months ago. It’s amazing how much they become part of your life. I hope your last days with her were full of special moments and that you will always be able to look back on the joyful and happy moments you did have.

13. Katie February 14, 2014 at 2:20 pm #

I am so sorry. Cats truly become family. I lost mine two years ago and it was very tough. We actually grew up together (she was only one month younger than me!).

14. maddie February 14, 2014 at 1:43 pm #

What a sweet cat. You never know how long she, or any of us will be here, so your title is perfect – cherish the moments.

15. Ellen February 14, 2014 at 12:54 pm #

They bring so much joy to our lives.

16. threeoutside February 14, 2014 at 12:32 pm #

I visit your blog every day, but seldom if ever comment. But I have to say, your little moggie has has a wonderful life with a loving mom, and there is no doubt she cherishes you, too. I think cats live always in the Now, and she is appreciating your loving attention right now with no regrets or worries. And when she is gone, remember, she is forever curled up in your heart for a warm nap and a purr.

17. Tasha @ By Gum, By Golly February 14, 2014 at 10:50 am #

Big hugs to you {{hugs}} The photo with her sleeping on your chest just melts my heart. Sending my love.

18. sewbecause February 14, 2014 at 10:07 am #

So sorry..that is the hardest thing. Hugs!

19. Gaye Proctor February 14, 2014 at 10:02 am #

I lost my beloved feline companion a few weeks ago. I have coped quite well with all the gorgeous pics of all the cute cats on all the fabric. But with this you have made me crumble.

I have just had a big weep.

Yes, cherish these last moments.

20. Emily's Vintage Visions February 14, 2014 at 9:54 am #

What a sweet kitty. Hugs to you!
    -Emily

21. sallie February 14, 2014 at 9:42 am #

Oh Rochelle! I’m so sorry!

22. Vicki Kate February 14, 2014 at 8:21 am #

Hugs. To you and a very proud and much loved kitty.

23. Merry Coleman February 14, 2014 at 5:57 am #

Losing pets are hard! They are just as much part of the family too. Over the years I’ve lost quite a few and I don’t ever think it gets any easier. These little fur baby friends have been my dearest companions little ears that you can whisper secrets to and they never tell. My heart goes out to you honey.
    Prayers for you and your Kitty Girl. Merry from Eachlittlebird.bolgspot.com

24. annekecaramin February 14, 2014 at 4:52 am #

I’m so sorry! Hopefully there’s still some time left for a few more wonderful memories.

25. Perlchen Noir February 14, 2014 at 3:34 am #

omg… this is so sad

26. Philippa February 14, 2014 at 2:24 am #

Precious kitty X

27. Steff February 14, 2014 at 1:41 am #

Oh Rochelle. My heart is with you. Standing at the train station with tears streaming down my face. I love and have loved my cats with all my heart, they are indeed special. Cherish every moment.

28. Sunni February 14, 2014 at 12:19 am #

Oh my goodness – my heart goes out to you! Truly! I’ve been there and its so hard. What a wonderful long life she’s had. Kitties are so wonderful and truly the best of friends. All my best to you!
    xx

29. Morgan February 13, 2014 at 11:48 pm #

I am sorry! I just lost my kitty, Sammy, of 17 years, who I received for my 7th birthday. You are right when you say they become our oldest and dearest friends, it is heartbreaking to lose them.

30. Lynn February 13, 2014 at 11:13 pm #