Sewing

My SFC Project – sneak peek

April 27, 2015

Well it’s taken me long enough, but my Spring For Cotton project is now nearly done! I just have to hem my skirt and then it’s 100% finished. I’m glad I never shared my initial plans or progress here because there would have been a post titled “No just kidding, I changed my mind” every single week. I had at least three, maybe four, false starts with other projects and ultimately I just had to ask myself – What do you NEED right now? At least I had an answer for that!

SFCpeek_luckylucille2

One of my goals this year is to make more vintage inspired fit and flare dresses, but with Me Made May coming up I really needed some separates. I’m realizing I’ll need a lot more separates to mix and match if I want to treat every month like Me Made May, but for now I think these two pieces will get a lot more wear than a single dress would.

I used pattern pieces from four different sewing patterns in order to create this outfit and I’m really pleased with the results! I mentioned in my last MMM post that I desperately needed a basic white T-shirt so I decided to make one with a vintage twist. …in 100% cotton, of course!

SFCpeek_luckylucille4

I bought some cream colored interlock knit from Organic Cotton Plus a few months ago so I had juuuuusttt enough left over from another project to squeak out a Sewaholic Renfrew with a batwing sleeve modification. This interlock fabric is on the heavier side (something between a standard T-shirt weight and a light sweatshirt) and it’s fantastic to sew with because it’s so stable. It wouldn’t work well for a tight fitting shirt since it doesn’t have a ton of stretch, but for a looser fitting shirt like this I think it’s perfect!

SFCpeek_luckylucille3

For the skirt I used a quilting cotton, designed by Kim Kight for Cotton and Steel, that I bought at Fat Quarter Shop. I adore this print by itself, but I was drawn to it as a skirt knowing I already have three tank-tops that would match with it quite well. I wanted a skirt with pleats, and rather than try to draft it myself and work out all the math, I just used the bottom piece of Retro Butterick pattern B5747. I added inseam pockets using the pattern piece from another dress pattern, added a lapped zipper to the back, and then drafted my own waistband. I topped it off with a vintage button, of course.

I’ll have real outfit photos to share later this week, but I just wanted to pop in and prove I will actually have something finished for my own sew-along, haha! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Though cutting it close now, it’s not too late to sew something for Spring For Cotton if you want to! Find all the details, here…

xo
Rochelle