As previously mentioned, some of my goals for 2016 are to sew for comfort, advance my knitting, and showcase my block printing, but aside from that I also told myself I would sew more for necessity (I’m easily distracted by brand new shiny patterns that don’t suit my life/style) and really evaluate my stash before buying new fabric (I’m also easily distracted by shiny new fabrics that don’t suit my life/style). Well I’m off to a good start on that front because my first completed project of 2016 is both a necessity and a stash bust!
Last year my sewing space got shuffled around more times than I can try to remember, as tends to happen when you find yourself living at home, trying to save money to eventually not live at home. Right now my work space is also my bedroom, which I’m actually quite happy with since it’s the first time I’ve had one room to call all mine in almost a decade. It’s MY space. Mine. My own* and I’m the type of person who thrives with a little solitary personal space to retreat to.
(*yes of course that’s a Lord Of The Rings reference.)
I’m also the kind of person who needs access to natural light (and preferably a view of some greenery) which is why curtains never seem to make it to my list of sewing priorities. And although I live in a rural town where people can get away with zero window treatments, I figured it would be smart (…courteous?) of me to sew at least a very basic set of curtains. You’re welcome, neighbors.
The fabric is from Jo-Ann’s. It’s a basic quilting cotton that they seem to reprint year after year and I ended up with yards and yards of it after my mom decided she wanted new curtains for the kitchen. …then decided we’d go with plain linen instead. …then simple wood blinds. …no definitely the pretty floral print cotton after seeing my new curtains. Sooooo, looks like I’ll be sewing more curtains in the near future.
I didn’t use any kind of pattern. I just turned down a two inch casing at the top to run the curtain rod through and then folded up a massive 9″ hem to add some weight to the bottom (also because I was too lazy to cut off the excess and sew a smaller hem). I didn’t even need to hem the sides since the print of the fabric reaches across both selvages (no text or white space) and the 44″ width was exactly what I needed to cover each window. I don’t remember the exact yardage I started with. I just ripped the fabric into two equal pieces that were plenty long enough to cover my windows and I just wing’d-it (uh, wang it? …that can’t be right) from there.
Trying to continue the theme of “Smart Crafting by Rochelle” I realized that yes, I definitely want to advance my knitting this year by making the Bough hat by Brooklyn Tweed …but I’ve never actually done charted knitting before. I understand the principal of it, but thought it might be wise to give it a try on a pattern without as much chart-age as Bough. Which is why I’m currently knitting the Rosebud hat by Brooklyn Tweed. So far so good! And! I’m still prepping myself to conquer Bough soon enough.
This is also my first knitting project with Madelinetosh Vintage yarn and GuuuuuhhhhhgggggMyGod it’s so nice. I’m hooked on the subtle color variances, as well as the dimension and depth of color you get with hand-dyed yarn, especially when they’re a beautiful mustard yellow like the Candlewick colorway. I tend to show more restraint when yarn shopping but this yarn is going to tempt me fiercely.
Now that I’ve gotten Christmas sewing out of the way, and have one quick project under my belt to get back in the swing of things, I’m eager to start on my #2016MakeNine goals.
I think I’ll begin with Fen.
p.s. A little shameless self promotion here, today on Society6 you can get 15% off and free worldwide shipping on all home goods. That means my Wielder of Needles coffee mugs and travel mugs are included in the sale! It’s for today only though so I figure I’d mention it 😉 😉 Coupon code is: “GETHOMEY” if the discount isn’t automatically showing up.